Audio system questions

lakejamesdixie

Recruit
Hey everyone I'm new to this site and excited to start my first project. I just got my first boat to call my own and want to install a stereo system it's never had. So i'll get down to it....installing audio is new and I wanna run this by someone that has some more experience. #1 Im in college and on a budget so I was thinking of running my ipod directly through the amp instead of buying a head unit. Saving money while not sacrifing sound quality if this is possible.

My plan is to have a 4 speaker set up for now. #2 I want to know if I buy this amp will I be able to run a sub in the future or will i have to have a 5 channel and above amp? Right now im planning on this one below but its 4 channel ....thoughts?

The amp: http://www.amazon.com/PLMRA420-4-Ch...3&sr=1-10&keywords=6+channel+marine+amplifier

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Audio system questions

Running the ipod directly to the amp will work. I used to do that back in high school with a walkman direct to an amp in my truck.
The amp your looking at is only 35 watts RMS per channel. It is NOT a 1,000 watt amp like they claim. RMS power output is the number to look at. Personally, I think that's not enough power if you want to hear music while the boat is moving. Wind and engine noise make it hard to hear.
There are ways to power a sub and other speakers without everything having it's own amp channel. You can use an external, speaker level crossover to split the amp's output between your main speakers and your sub(s). These work but most people now use pre-amp level crossovers and separate amp channels.
If you haven't discovered Crutchfield yet, check out their marine audio section. Also, rock the boat.com is pretty good.