Replacing my navigation lights?

hostage

Lieutenant
Is there anything I should note or think about when replacing a light fixture on a boat? I would like to move to LEDs and the current housing got cracked some how. I am going to measure the spots where my lights are now to see if it will fit. my current housing has two screws, this one looks like it has 1 on top: Attwood 1nm LED Stainless Steel Sidelights - iboats

I am thinking of using marine-tex to seal up the old screw holes. Then use splicers to connect the wires followed by shrink wrap, then liquid electric tape. I am thinking that the lights will come with some gaskets on the bottom to prevent wanter from entering the hull. If not I guess I can use 5200. I am worried that the current lights might be leaking into the cuddy.

-Hostage

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Replacing my navigation lights?

Sounds like a Plan to me!

Make sure you get the correct light for the Boat size.
Some need 1nm, some need 2nm.

hostage

Lieutenant

It is for a 19ft boat. The current light reads Percko A-16

boaterinsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

is that in all states? the 1 nm and 2 nm specs?

jhebert

Ensign

is that in all states? the 1 nm and 2 nm specs?

The lights required to be shown by a power-driven vessel when underway are given in the federal regulations. Check with your individual state to see if they have promulgated any additional rules about lighting a power-driven vessel when underway. I doubt they have, as these regulations are typically harmonized across all states.

The federal regulations are very simple to read and are the best source of an authoritative answer to any question about vessel lighting. See

Navigation Rules Online

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/index.php?pageName=Rule23

Visibility requirements are given in

Navigation Rules Online

For more details on lights, see the technical annex of the rules:

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Also, you will not be replacing your lights. You will be replacing your lamps. The light is what is seen by other vessels, and this should not change. You are just changing the lamps that produce the light.

hostage

Lieutenant

Hrmm...so it looks like all I need is a 1nm. My current one is Perko Bi-Color, Chrome Plated, Zinc Alloy Bow Light - 262950, Boat Lighting at Sportsman's Guide

Note: I have two of them and they both have a black insert to block off the light for each respective side. The current size is: 3 1/4 x 2 5/16 x 5/8".

I am looking at two sets of lights:
Attwood 2nm Stainless Steel Bow Sidelights - iboats
3 3/8 x 2 7/16 x 1 1/2
and
Attwood 1nm LED Stainless Steel Sidelights - iboats
3 x 2.3 x 1.3

one has 2nm other has 1nm. They are about $8 difference, I do have a recess on the boat that is slightly ~1/16" bigger than the current lamps. I am worried that the 2nm will be a little to big.

Thanks in advance,

Hostage

0519001716.jpg

JoLin

Vice Admiral

No need to overthink this, hostage. You have a 19' boat. The 1nm lights meet regs, the 2nm lights are the 'belt plus suspenders' choice if the additional safety factor appeals to you.

My .02

hostage

Lieutenant

No need to overthink this, hostage. You have a 19' boat. The 1nm lights meet regs, the 2nm lights are the 'belt plus suspenders' choice if the additional safety factor appeals to you.

My .02

More worry about the 2nm fitting and I worry about the quality of the 1nm. If I go with the 2nm I am worried it would over hang a bit leaving a gap under the light as the light as the bow dips down.

hostage

Lieutenant

I went ahead and go the 1nm ones, I would rather have it fit.

Thanks for the info and help!