First time wiring a boat

Buckeyedude

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is my first time wiring a boat(other than lights or a bilge pump on occasion) and wanted to run a few things by the pro's!:D First off the boat is my first restore and it is a 22' bluefin with a 1987 evinrude 175 on it. I posted in the Evinrude forum for help finding the tach setting for my motor
http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-ev...ing-87-evinrude-175-a-609505.html#post4247252

I almost have all of the wiring complete but wanted to post this little sketch before finishing up. I know the colors arent right, but I used what I had to help distinguish wires for everyone. I think I have one too many ground with the lead going to the fuse box, but wanted input on it. Thanks for looking

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: First time wiring a boat

really hard to see, but.....looks like you have a couple of problems. the gray is only the tach wire (old merc?) nowadays the tach is tan. and the gas sender goes ONLY to the fuel gauge. And to the volt meter the purple is usually used so its on when the key is on.

Buckeyedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

wow, i feel kinda dumb. Thanks, Im gonna go correct it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Good idea to layout your wiring plan. It is always a great idea to make a schematic diagram and keep it with the boat or boat paperwork. I know a lot of folks like to follow the color codes for every wiring issue. However, seems the older wiring colors have made some changes to their original colors now, and since there is no promises that other wiring colors don't change in the future (you never know), I think a better option is to label each wire as to where it goes as a better way to keep track of your wiring regardless of color... Either way make sure you use the proper fusing protection for each circuit and the proper wiring gauges too…

Buckeyedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok, so let me double check and give you guys my run down. Purple wire coming from remote plug is wired into the I on the voltmeter,tach and fuel gauge. The grey wire coming from the same plug runs to the S just on the tach. The black wire coming from the plug runs to the G on the volt,speedo,tach and fuel. The pos wire coming from the fuel sending unit to the S on the fuel gauge, the ground wire from the fuel sending unit goes to the G on the fuel gauge. For the instrument lights, I have my pos(+) from the nav light going to the L on the volt,speedo,tach and fuel, it then runs from the fuel guage to the nav lights switch(ground from the nav light runs to the fuse block,should I just run it to the G on one of the gauges or is it ok running it to the fuse block?). I will make up a new diagram and post it later. Thanks

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

all the grounds should be connected together somewhere, some how. so it does.t matter where you connect, unless of course you have something with a large current draw. gauges and senders don't.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here you go, I got bored this morning and had a heck of a time reading your drawing.

inst.jpg

Buckeyedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. Sorry about the diagram, it was done hastily last night a little after midnight when I came inside. Don S, that is exactly what I have (now) for the exception of my ground from the fuel sender ties into the fuel gauge ground, and the L wires lead to my nav switch.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks guys. Sorry about the diagram, it was done hastily last night a little after midnight when I came inside. Don S, that is exactly what I have (now) for the exception of my ground from the fuel sender ties into the fuel gauge ground, and the L wires lead to my nav switch.

The drawing is like that as well with the light wires. Like George said earlier all grounds are tied together in the end, and that is at the negative terminal of the battery.