Horizon 600 Windlass

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, I hope someone can tell me what is wrong. Please, I have ideas as to what is wrong but hoping someone else has had the same problem and can give me corrective action to take.:D

My Horizon 600 Series windlass, works fine when in the DOWN mode. When I move to UP mode, it just stops.
I took it apart, took the rode off the spindle and tried it again. Down works fine. Again in the UP mode, the spindle turn very very slowly. When the rode is on the spindle, nothing.
I had a friend that when his did the same thing in the UP mode, it popped the circuit breaker, mine does not do that.

Up function of the motor shot? If it works slowly, then I am thinking it is that function of the motor.:confused:

HELP!!!:blue:

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Horizon 600 Windlass

Check your electrical connections. Try this: Switch the two ires on the windlass. If it now works UP and not DOWN, you have a problem with either the switch or the UP relay, assuming there is one. The most likely culpit is corrosion at the elctrical connectors for the relay. Try disconnecting the wires and cleaning all the contacts with emery cloth. Hy

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with littlebookworm. First thing is connections. The motor only needs real juice under load (pulling up). The switch is not bad as all it does is energize the relays. More than likely you have some crap connections.

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Checked all that and all is good.
It does need power to go down. It is not a free fall windlass. It goes down great but when up, nothing. When the rod is removed from the gypsum, it comes up very very slowly.

Fixed it with a rebuilt windlass with a new motor. Got it for less than a new motor, rebuilt. We shall see!

Thanks