1987 Starcraft (OMC 140) Dash electrical issue

kbibeau1

Cadet
I just got my 1987 starcraft this year. Everything runs great, just one minor electrical issue that has me stumped. The dash instruments and light tend to work when they want to. Sometime the gauges will read accuarately, sometimes inaccurately, sometimes not at all. If i turn the nav lights on it changes everything. Sometimes It makes everything work right and sometimes it disturbs everything if they are already working right. The nav lights are also having an issue. If the instruments are not working the nav lights will be dim, if everything on te dash is lit up and working the nav lights will be fully lit. I have tried wiggling the wires under the dash to see if there was a loose connection but nothing. I have taken off and cleaned both battery terminals and where they connect to the engine. Also out of curiousity I tested the charging system and my tester read (HI). After turning the boat off the battery came back down to a little over 14v. I am new to the forums, so thank you to anyone who may offer some help.

NYBo

Admiral
Re: 1987 Starcraft (OMC 140) Dash electrical issue

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

You will most likely find the problem somewhere on the negative ("ground") side of the circuits.

kbibeau1

Cadet

Any idea of where I should begin my search?:confused:

NYBo

Admiral

Start at the negative buss, which is usually near the fuse block behind the instrument panel. It may be integrated with the fuse panel. Make sure the feed from the negative battery terminal is clean and tight.

kbibeau1

Cadet

Thanks for your help. I actually found the problem at the engine where the main wiring harness plugs in. It was a little lose, unplugged it, cleaned contact and plug it in nice and tight. Good to go!