GAUGE ISSUES MPH/ VOLT /FARINA/ BAYLINER 83/ aq 125a/ volvo 270

madridbruce

Cadet
HEY FOLKS!

Our family is the proud owners of a 83 bayliner cuddy cabin. my speedometer stopped working after i washed up on shore after running out of gas because my gas gauge didnt work! awesome times. got the sending unit put in. now i need some advice as to what could have taken place to make the speedometer to stop working. i red 10 mph the whole way back home at full throttle. ?? Now on to my volt meter. it was acting funny reading way low , then just stopped working all my other gauges work? i havent tested them yet i will . if they peg whats my next move on each?? thanks for your time!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: GAUGE ISSUES MPH/ VOLT /FARINA/ BAYLINER 83/ aq 125a/ volvo 270

the pitot tube pickup is plugged with dirt. pull the line off of it, and blow it out with air.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There are only three connections on a voltmeter. 12 volts with key on, geound and the internal light.
It has no sender so check connections.

if you had to beach the boat the chances are the pilot tube for the speedo is cracked or broke as they are plastic and mounted near the bottom of the transom or it might be plugged as scott said. If it broke the good news its a cheap piece and easy to replace

p.s the speedo works of water pressure and the piece we are on about is mounted on the back of the boat. also it should be clicked in the 45 degree down position (they can click out straight if hit and then they will not read correctly).