Updating Rocker Switches

Turn-n-Burn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trying to update my dash panel on a 1986 Wellcraft 23 Nova XL.

I have got myself into a state of confusion over the past few days searching for rocker switches with the abundant supply and configurations out there. ex. double pole single throw/single pole single throw......etc,

Below are the current weather worn ones, I believe they are from Carling with no part number markings. Just need a simple off/on with a 4 terminal switch. I have looked here on the iBoats store, but unfortunately, most won't show or tell the number of terminals.

The switches are individually protected with a mini slimline thermal circuit breaker (also mounted in dash panel). After hours of searching I did finally find those and are on order.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in clearing up my fog laced head. :faint2:

100_0087_zpsa1188a94.jpg

100_0086_zpsf0476ff1.jpg

100_0085-Copy_zps456d9d50.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Updating Rocker Switches

Assuming that dot in the center of the switch is a light, and it's an on/off switch the wires would be like this.

100_0087_zpsa1188a94.jpg

What style of switch are you looking for?

Turn-n-Burn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes, the center dot is a light, but have never actually seen or noticed them light up.

Any style (illuminated preferably) would be fine by me as long as they wire up the same and fit the cut outs.

Thanks for the help Don!

Don S

Well, I can't tell size in that picture, so not much help.

How many switches are we talking about here? Are they all the same exact type of switch?
Perhaps a photo showing where they are mounted will help. Front and back.

Turn-n-Burn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll need 10 on/off and 1 mom on/off for the horn and I think the mounting hole is 7/8" x 1 1/2" , but I'll get the exact measurements and photos of the front and back of panel tomorrow morning, 2nd shifter here.

Thanks Don!

Turn-n-Burn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The cut out size is 3/4" x 1 1/2"

Pics are about the best I could get without disconnecting wires.

100_0089_zps1df70020.jpg

100_0091_zpsd2534427.jpg

100_0092_zps09aa2a76.jpg

100_0093_zps0e75d5b7.jpg

100_0094_zpsf1c2cdc2.jpg

Don S

The problem I see with the switches available now, is that they do not have a single 12V input for 2 outputs. At least not from the most popular suppliers. What you will find in two in's and two out's.
If lighted when on, there will be a single black ground for the light.
All it takes is a jumper between the two inputs
Just a short jumper with a Multi-Stack Connector on one side and a regular spade terminal connector on the other.

Turn-n-Burn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I may have found some after googling the cut out size instead of the particulars of the switch :rolleyes:

not sure if off site live links are allowed, so I wrapped code tags around the links.

1 momentary switch for the horn:

Code:
http://www.boatstoreusa.com/electrical-supplies/push-toggle-switches/sierra-rk40120-mom-on-off-illuminated-rocker/

9 on/off switches

Code:
http://www.boatstoreusa.com/electrical-supplies/push-toggle-switches/sierra-rk40370-rock-swch-soft-s-s11-43070/

Don S

Should work, here is the pinouts.

Sierra switches.jpg

NYBo

Admiral

The problem I see with the switches available now, is that they do not have a single 12V input for 2 outputs. At least not from the most popular suppliers. What you will find in two in's and two out's.
If lighted when on, there will be a single black ground for the light.
All it takes is a jumper between the two inputs
Just a short jumper with a Multi-Stack Connector on one side and a regular spade terminal connector on the other.
It would be simpler to just use that connector on the output side.;)

Don S

It would be simpler to just use that connector on the output side.;)

I didn't think so, I thought it would be easier to use a short jumper than to cut and put new ends on the little short ends already tied together in the harness. Did you look at his pictures?
Besides, he now has the switches with the terminals he wants.

NYBo

Admiral

I didn't think so, I thought it would be easier to use a short jumper than to cut and put new ends on the little short ends already tied together in the harness. Did you look at his pictures?
Besides, he now has the switches with the terminals he wants.
Yep. Looked like a controlled explosion in a spaghetti factory. :)

But you are right about messing with short leads. I just don't like to have any more connections (i.e. points of potential failure) than necessary.

Turn-n-Burn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep. Looked like a controlled explosion in a spaghetti factory. :)

But you are right about messing with short leads. I just don't like to have any more connections (i.e. points of potential failure) than necessary.

Just wait until I get a new panel made and snip all the wire ties. :laugh:

Just thinking about never noticing the switches light up. I wonder if they are somehow bypassed to the system monitor on the right of the panel?

as for the panel lights, would a led strip be feasible, since the sockets and connections are fairly rusted?

Turn-n-Burn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got the all the switches and circuit breakers mounted and wired up.

Was still tripping the panel light switch breaker. First thing I did was disconnect the hot lead that led to the instrument gauges lights. turned the switch on and all the panel lights and rocker switches lit up. Started hooking up gauge lights one by one until the fuse tripped. When I got to the fuel gauge, it tripped. So I bypassed it (pic) and continued on with the rest.

Everything worked great.

It seems the gas gauge is not original and might be wired wrong? In the photo, the bottom row, middle gauge is the one in question. I am wondering if that black wire coming out of what looks like a light socket is actually a light? It is attached to Ignition terminal, but if I disconnect it, the gauge still reads when the ignition is in the on position.

Gasgaugebypass_zps7c148838.jpg

Don S

The terminal you have circled in red is probably the ground stud for that light. The black wire coming from the center of the light bulb socket is where the blue wires should go.

Turn-n-Burn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Don, I'll give it a go tomorrow. :thumb:

Turn-n-Burn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Worked like a charm Don! Thanks!!:victorious: