No windlass control

2kjs

Cadet
Hello, recently purchased a wellcraft montecarlo that is equipped with a maxwell nillson windlass and judging by the fact that there are no controls on dash for it i'm assuming it was designed to be controled with a remote that i can't find anywhere in boat. There is a round circle on bow next to windlass that is about 2 inches across with a rubber covering, antenna maybe ? Boat was purchased at auction so no contact with prev owner. So guess what im getting at is, is it possible to just buy a new remote control or will i have to replace everything ? Thanks for any and all help !

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: No windlass control

There is a round circle on bow next to windlass that is about 2 inches across with a rubber covering, antenna maybe

Sounds like the foot switch you step on to raise the anchor.

Post a picture of your windlass and round circle.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Follow the wiring from the windlass to wherever it goes. A windlass would not typically be controlled from the helm but rather a point close to the windlass. Lift the rubber cover on the "circle" you found. If there are electrical connections inside, it is probably the control connection. An antenna will have a coaxial connection rather than a multi-terminal connector. Google the brand name of your windlass and add the words "control", "remote control" or something similar.

2kjs

Cadet

Thanks guys it was a foot switch and as an added bonus everything seems to work perfect ! Thanks again for the help.