Several newbie light, rocker, cable questions.

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello
We bought a used 24ft Grumman pontoon off a lady that used it for tours down the river. She was nice and all and we thought we did a good inspection and research on the boat and q&a about the boat but finding maybe we could have done better. Plus she didn't seem to take as good care of some things as we thought she would have since she ran it as a touring boat. Nothing major I don't believe but still stuff that newbies like us our gonna get headaches from.
So hoping some of you salty sea guys can help out and give some helpful advice and ideas on them.

So trying to ensure our lights work properly before we get a inspection and go out on the water.
On the console the first rocker if you push it up the port/starboard green/red comes on. If you push it down the white 360 light comes on. Now still a novice on all this but in my readings and studying's aren't the green/red and white all suppose to be on at the same time time from dusk to dawn. ? If the different light sets come on in different positions I am gonna have to rewire ?
Second rocker doesn't seem to turn anything on when pushed up. Only moves up. You can see a red light in the middle of the rocker come on when pushed.
Third rocker doesn't seem to turn anything on pushing it up either. Same type of red light comes on showing power to it.
Fourth rocker buzzes a little horn.
I looked under the console and there are wires running to them all but haven't followed them yet as they are all tie wired up and didn't want to cut them lose yet.

I noticed the fuse box is a old type were u use the glass tube fuses AGC If I recall the name right. Now its sits right under a couple holder that has drain holes in it so if a cup drips or spills or rain or water get down it would drip right onto the fuse box. That isn't right is it ? Should it be changed or moved or both ? Boats is 15yrs so wasn't sure what was up with that.

Off the steering under the console there is a hollow black cable that have nothing in side it and not connected to anything. I couldn't find a other side that might have been a cut or anything. Was wondering what they might have gone to or need to go to. I can take pics when my phone is recharged here shortly.

From the speedometer this is a hollow white cable just hanging there.
Sorry for any lack of knowledgeable terminology and hope I made some sense in describing these things.
I can take pics once the phone is recharged.

Thanks
Mark

Last edited:

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Several newbie light, rocker, cable questions.

Pics from underneath and hopefully helpful for someone to help me out.
Thanks

Attachments

• Underside of rockers.jpg
    Underside of rockers.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 0
  • cup holder fuse box.jpg
    cup holder fuse box.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 0
  • fuse box.jpg
    fuse box.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 0
  • white cable out of speedometer.jpg
    white cable out of speedometer.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 0
  • black cableout of steering.jpg
    black cableout of steering.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 0

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I will see if I can help you out a bit

So trying to ensure our lights work properly before we get a inspection and go out on the water.
On the console the first rocker if you push it up the port/starboard green/red comes on. If you push it down the white 360 light comes on. Now still a novice on all this but in my readings and studying's aren't the green/red and white all suppose to be on at the same time time from dusk to dawn. ? If the different light sets come on in different positions I am gonna have to rewire ?

The red/green and white should all be on while under power and moving. That tells other boaters that you are moving and in what direction your traveling. The white light is used to show your are not under power and that your floating or at anchor.
This combination of lights can be on one or two switches. Personally I like to use two switches, but it is common for it to be on one switch.

Second rocker doesn't seem to turn anything on when pushed up. Only moves up. You can see a red light in the middle of the rocker come on when pushed.
Third rocker doesn't seem to turn anything on pushing it up either. Same type of red light comes on showing power to it.I looked under the console and there are wires running to them all but haven't followed them yet as they are all tie wired up and didn't want to cut them lose yet.

No idea you will have to trace to trace those out.

Fourth rocker buzzes a little horn.

horn

I noticed the fuse box is a old type were u use the glass tube fuses AGC If I recall the name right. Now its sits right under a couple holder that has drain holes in it so if a cup drips or spills or rain or water get down it would drip right onto the fuse box. That isn't right is it ? Should it be changed or moved or both ? Boats is 15yrs so wasn't sure what was up with that.

I would use some silicone to seal it up, moving it can be hard due to wire length.

Off the steering under the console there is a hollow black cable that have nothing in side it and not connected to anything. I couldn't find a other side that might have been a cut or anything. Was wondering what they might have gone to or need to go to. I can take pics when my phone is recharged here shortly.

That is a tube to cover the steering cable when the wheel turns, one end is in the helm steering box and it sort of hangs down free it keeps the steering cable from getting into the wiring and causing problems, it is fine as is

From the speedometer this is a hollow white cable just hanging there.

That is the old type of speedometer, the tube should run to the back of the boat and be hooked into a device called a pitot tube when your under way the water forces air pressure back into it to give you a reading. some motors have a pick up built in and others take a extra device called pitot tube you can find one here at iboats

boat pitot tube - iboats

Hope that helps you out a bit, as you go along you will pick it up fast , and the people here will go to great lengths to help, enjoy tooning.

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey MH Hawker
Thanks very much. Helps a lot. Tried to trace some stuff tonite but the wiring is all tied up and metal brace plate in the way to see everything so gonna be a pain but guess it will have to be done.

So when moving red/green on white off ? Then when anchored white on green/red off ? If so then I totally missed read that part and will have to go back and reread.

THanks very much for the help.

UncleWillie

Captain

Lets get the NavLights working first.

If I see through the wiring mess, it looks like the switch is the 6 Terminal variety. (Only 5 in use.)
It should be wired similar to this.

NavLightSwitch.jpg

Your symptom indicate the top to bottom jumper is not making connection.
If you actually have a 3 terminal switch, there will be a Diode from top to bottom that is the culprit.

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Unle Willie. I will check that in the morning.
Greatly appreciate it.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

During the day no lights required, at night if your under power and moving red/green and white, if sitting drifting or anchored white should be on.

UncleWillie

Captain

So when moving red/green on white off ? Then when anchored white on green/red off ? If so then I totally missed read that part and will have to go back and reread.

You probably read it correctly! :)

When Moving, including Drifting, ALL ON, RED,GREEN and WHTE.
When ANCHORED, with an Actual Anchor in the water, White Only.

Hint: This was covered in your Boaters Safety Course. :rolleyes:

In what State/Country is Hernando County Located?