New chartplotter and radar

Seevee

Seaman
All,

Shopping for some options for a new chart plotter and radar for my 31 ft boat. Garmin looks the best.

However, lots of options from as low as about $2500 to well over $5000, but looks like a lot of choices below the $4000 mark.

Some questions....

Is the touch screen worth the difference, which doesn't seem like a lot? However, there's a "faster" touch screen which is a bit more expensive.

I'm replacing a C80 Raymarine. Should I consider just getting a small display chartplotter with radar for about $2500 and keep the C80 for the bigger display?

Confusing.....

Seevee

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: New chartplotter and radar

I like Garmin GPS and Furuno radar.

Touchscreen is the only way to go. Can you imagine having a "button" menu system on your cell phone or tablet?

If you go Garmin, the 7XXX series is the only way to go

Seevee

Seaman

I like Garmin GPS and Furuno radar.

Touchscreen is the only way to go. Can you imagine having a "button" menu system on your cell phone or tablet?

If you go Garmin, the 7XXX series is the only way to go

Thx for the reply. Do you have a Garmin now?

And can I assume the Furuno radar would be a totally separate install, or can it play on the Garmin screen? I thing there's an advantage to have the radar overlay at times.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Thx for the reply. Do you have a Garmin now?

And can I assume the Furuno radar would be a totally separate install, or can it play on the Garmin screen? I thing there's an advantage to have the radar overlay at times.

I'm running a Garmin 4208 chart plotter with Furuno Sounder. The Furuno radar would be standalone or you could go Furuno all the way. Expensive, but very nice, rock solid equipment.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

Touch screen vs buttons depends on how you intend to use it. When I'm fishing, my hands are not always clean and I don't want to have slimy fingerprints all over the screen. A friend of my bought one of the high end Garmin units a couple years ago. Excellent screen and easy to navigate through the menus. It has work flawlessly. He had the choice of touch screen or buttons and chose buttons for the same reason.
I don't like the idea of combining electronics in a single unit. If that unit fails you loose both functions. Also if you are using it in split screen mode the screen size is cut in half which defeats the purpose of buying a large display.

Morris island

Recruit

I've bought the new simrad plotter radar bottom machine all in one I love it. It's the best machine out there it cost me 4,000$ but well worth the money. Simple to run and never breaks down Hamilton marine in Portland maine sells them but they ask to much for them. I got mine thru Midcoast marine electronics of Rockland maine Hope this helps