Shore power dumb question

tracyadams

Cadet
Boat 1990 carver santego 2767. Mercruiser twin4.3's.
Boat has been hooked to shore power since wednesday, batteries off, shore power plugged in dock main on, boat main off.
Went to go fishing this morning, and the batteries were close to dead. Got the starboard engine started, but not enough for the port.
Question is, shouldn't my shore power be charging my batteries at the dock, or does having the main off in the boat prevent them from charging?
Do I need to leave the main on?

Muchos gracias

sasto

Captain
Re: Shore power dumb question

Yes, main on. Have fun and enjoy! Da nada!

tracyadams

Cadet

Might be the problem then. Plugged my shore power, turned the dock main on, but left my AC main off. Rookie captain. First boat with all these new systems. Won't be my last mistake lol.

Thanks for the reply

tracyadams

Cadet

Been crazy figuring everything out on this boat. Bought it from the bank, so I've had to figure it all out on my own with lots of help from this forum.

Thank you

sasto

Captain

A few little tips in using a shore power cord. Since you plug into both shore and boat...and turn the plugs clockwise to lock them in...I always turn it a little counterclockwise before plugging in. This gives it a little "torque" toward the clockwise position to aid in keeping it locked in. When plugging into shore, I make sure all breakers are turned off, both vessel and shore. After plugging boat to shore, I first turn on the shore breaker, then board the boat and turn on the main breaker. If using a generator, I leave the boats main on, and switch the shore/generator over. Opposite when departing. I hope I'm making some sense. :cool:

tracyadams

Cadet

All advice noted. Thank you. Also went and got a new battery today, as there were no date codes on the old deep cycles that it came with.
Hopefully we will have a good season from here on out.

tracyadams

Cadet

Just read on another forum that the charger is tied in to the receptacle main on the power panel. This might explain why it hasn't been charging. I always turn the receptacles to off. The top one is tied in to the fridge. Learning much these days!

sasto

Captain

Good find!! Make a list for their locations. I don't know about you, but I need everything in writing to remember. Happy Boating.