VHF marine radios

C.O.L.

Seaman Apprentice
The boat I purchased had a Uniden console mounted VHF marine radio installed in it with a huge 8' antenna mounted on it. Is there anything I should know about owning this? Do I need a permit or license to legally use it? Being in central MN I am never in coastal waters, the biggest water the boat would be in is like leech lake, rainy lake, mille lacs lake but basically just in the brainerd lakes area. I also have a hand held Uniden Atlantis 250. In often fish with friends/families boats on the same water too, so could I give them the hand held and we talk like walkie talkies? I know I can receive NOAA weather reports and that the US Coast Guard uses VHF radio too on channel 9,16,22a so should I just stay away from these channels?

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: VHF marine radios

per the FCC website

You do not need a license to operate a marine VHF radio, radar, or EPIRBs aboard voluntary ships operating domestically. The term "voluntary ships" refers to ships that are not required by law to carry a radio. Generally, this term applies to recreation or pleasure craft. The term "voluntary ships" does not apply to the following:
Cargo ships over 300 gross tons navigating in the open sea;
Ships certified by the U.S. Coast Guard to carry more than 6 passengers for hire in the open sea or tidewaters of the U.S.;
Power driven ships over 20 meters in length on navigable waterways;
Ships of more than 100 gross tons certified by the U.S. Coast Guard to carry at least one passenger on navigable waterways;
Tow boats of more than 7.8 meters in length on navigable waterways; and,
Uninspected commercial fishing industry vessels required to carry a VHF radio.
Ships required to carry an Automatic Identification System (AIS) transceiver by the U.S. Coast Guard regulations enacted pursuant to the Maritime Transportation Security Act of 2000.
Ships are considered as operating domestically when they do not travel to foreign ports or do not transmit radio communications to foreign stations. Sailing in international waters is permitted, so long as the previous conditions are met. If you travel to a foreign port (e.g., Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands), a license is required. Additionally, if you travel to a foreign port, you are required to have an operator permit.

agallant80

Commander

No license needed. I am finding that alot of places are replacing them with cell phones. The only traffic I hear on it is people yelling at other boats, people hailing Marinias etc. Just remember don't chit chat on 16 and it is a public spectrum so keep the converstations short.

UncleWillie

Captain

In your situation; as long as you don't talk to anyone across the Canadian border, No license is needed but knowing the rules is a requirement.

The only channels up for general "Boat to Boat, Marine Related Conversations" would be Ch. 68,69,71 and 72.

Calling the admiral on shore to see if lunch is ready or where the kids are, would not be a permitted conversation.

If you are out in the boonies and no one is within listening range or cares, Who Would know?!!
But technically it is not legal.

For normal family Chit Chat, get a set of FRS/GMRS Radios.

Thalasso

Commander

In your situation; as long as you don't talk to anyone across the Canadian border, No license is needed but knowing the rules is a requirement.

The only channels up for general "Boat to Boat, Marine Related Conversations" would be Ch. 68,69,71 and 72.

Calling the admiral on shore to see if lunch is ready or where the kids are, would not be a permitted conversation.

If you are out in the boonies and no one is within listening range or cares, Who Would know?!!
But technically it is not legal.

For normal family Chit Chat, get a set of FRS/GMRS Radios.

As long as you are not on 16 it is legal. The shore station is the one that would need to be licensed if used for chit chat.

jhebert

Ensign

Is there anything I should know about owning [a VHF Marine Band radio]?

As others have mentioned, it is not necessary to obtain a marine radio operator license to use a VHF Marine Band radio, nor is it necessary to obtain a ship station license for your boat, but this is only because your vessel is a voluntarily equipped vessel. However, you must use the radio according to all the rules of the FCC and the Coast Guard. You should become familiar with the rules and with radio procedures. Also, there are mandatory radio watch requirements for any boat with a radio. You need to follow those mandatory radio watch procedures. See

Radio Watchkeeping Regulations

The FCC regulations for a VHF Marine Radio on your boat are given in PART 80--STATIONS IN THE MARITIME SERVICE. See

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...&rgn=div5&view=text&node=47:5.0.1.1.1&idno=47

A more concise presentation of the regulations is given on page 77 of this pamphlet:

http://www.uscgboating.org/fedreqs/default.html

UncleWillie

Captain

As long as you are not on 16 it is legal. The shore station is the one that would need to be licensed if used for chit chat.

I would disagree with that statement. The CG might disagree also.

The FCC Says....
NONCOMMERCIAL - Working channels for voluntary boats. Messages must be about the needs of the ship. Typical uses include fishing reports, rendezvous,scheduling repairs and berthing information. Use Channels 67 and 72 only for ship-to-ship messages.

Regulations require radio conversations to be for "operational" purposes, which is interpreted liberally by most pleasure boat operators. Sharing weather information, confirming a Rendezvous, even obtaining a recipe for fish stew are defensible uses, but social chit-chat--say, talk about sports, movies, or shoreside activities is not. This regulation is widely ignored in many areas, but if someone calls you down about it, he or she is right.

Unless by "Shore Station" you are referring to Licensed, Commercial, Ship to Shore Radio Telephone Services.
And Not the the Admiral with a Hand Held.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Great information from BoatUS.
I feel the VHF Radio is one of the most important Safety items on the boat, it can save your life or the life of another boater.
However your need to learn to use it on the right channel and what to do in case of an emergency.
First all boats are required to monitor Channel 16 when the radio is not in use. If someone is calling MayDay on Channel 16 but your on channel 9 or 68 you will not here the MayDay Call.
All new radio sold today in the USA are required to have DSC Digital Selective Calling. So if you have a GPS on Board read the instructions and hook it up to the radio.

A MayDay call takes a lot of time just to say MayDay 3 times and give your position then the nature of your distress and in an emergency you do not usually have lots of time.
Example your boat is on fire and away from land. So you grab the radio mike and Call Mayday 3 times, Look at your GPS and give your position slowly 2 times so other boats can copy it down then tell them you are on fire and need help. Or if your radio is hooked to a GPS you can hit a button on your radio and send the same message in a friction of a second.
Your radio will continue to send the message on it own until you get a response from a land based station like the Coast Guard.
So you can Fight the fire and make sure everyone has on a lifejacket. If you have to jump in the very cold water you will be happy that your radio is still sending your position to every boat or station in range. Radio sends the Call on channel 70 but coast guard or other vessel will usually call you back on channel 16. The Boats around you will have your exact position and come to your aid.
Since the radio is such and important safety aid it need to be use properly and never let kids use it as a toy.
On my boat out on the Cold Pacific Ocean I feel the radio is even more important than life Jackets.