Trolling motor, battery & cable questions??

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just recently purchased a 13' aluminum boat that came with a 15 hp Johnson (with electric start). I would like to also be able to use a 46# Minn Kota (42 amp draw at full power) transom mount trolling motor, which on a occasion I may result to just using it only. I need help choosing a battery that will "best" fit my needs. I am aware that the bigger the group, the more run time. I am looking at the Walmart Deep Cycle batteries (24, 27 & 29 group) & the questions I have are 1. would I be better off with a true Deep Cycle battery, or should I get the dual-purpose starting battery?? I will occasionally use the battery to start the Johnson, but most use will come from the Minn Kota trolling motor. 2. To help distribute weight on the boat, I want to move the battery up to the bow of the boat. I would need approximately 12', & would I use 6 or 4 gauge wire?? 3. As a refresher, can sombody tell me where I would put the in-line fuse on the cable from the battery & motor?? Do I install it on the positive or negative wire?? Any other information is greatly appreciated.

Auger01

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trolling motor, battery & cable questions??

I would go with a true deep cycle battery. Starting a 15 hp motor wont hurt it and it will work better with the trolling motor.

Are you planning to run one set of wires to the bow for both motors, or are you planning to run a seperate set for the trolling motor? That will determine where and if the wire needs to be fused. Usually, but not always, circuits are fused on the positive wire.

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure if I would want 1 or 2 sets of wires?? What are the pros & cons of either? Would a 30 amp inline fuse be sufficient?

Found a Walmart Max 29 group battery with 114 amp hours & a 2 year warranty for $99 but also found an Energizer 27 group with 115 amp hours & 1 year warranty for $82 at Sam's. Both are deep cycle & the only difference I can see is the warranty. Looks to me like Same is the better deal??

Auger01

Petty Officer 1st Class

The wires from the battery to the outbard starter are not required to be fused. For a 12' run , I would go one wire size bigger than the wires that are currently on the outboard, i.e. if the wires are six gauge, use four gauge wire.

You could just run six gauge wires from the battery to the trolling motor and put a 50 amp fuse on it near the battery, or you could tap off the outboard wires near the stern and put the 50 amp fuse just after the tap. One way would save some wire, the other way keeps from having to splice wires near the stern.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Obviously a 30 amp fuse won't work if the motor draws 42 amps max. Fuses and breakers go in the positive cable within six inches or so of the battery terminal.