12/24 motorguide wiring

BASCSTR

Cadet
Hey all, this is my situation. ...i have a motorguide 12/24 55pnd thrust. It is three wire, but at the back of the boat where i hook up my two batteries, i have a black and red going to a 40 amp breaker and another set of black and red wires going to another 40 brkr. Ive read the how tos and looked at the diagrams but still cant figure it out. I am fine with it just being 24 volt, even though the selector switch has 12 or 24.......ideas?

Re: 12/24 motorguide wiring

you have a switch thats not on the trolling motor that is labeled 12/24 ?
The trolling plug has 3 pins?
the trolling motor has 3 wires and its own 12/24 v switch?

BASCSTR

Cadet

Sorry, no switch......except on the foot pedal, plug in receptical has 3 pins.....am i making sense?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Your system is probably wired like this.

BASCSTR

Cadet

Silvertip, thank you, excellent drawings by the way, ive seen yours with others with the same problem. My dilema is that in my compartment, all i have is red and black leads........2sets. I hooked uptthe obvious but still only have 12 volts, not 24......?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Is this boat new to you? Has this system ever worked? If the receptacle has three terminals and the motor plug has three terminals and there is no switch panel at the bow, then the wiring MUST be as I showed in the diagram. In that system you would use only ONE of the black wires and the one you use MUST go the NEG terminal on the battery on the left. The 12V lead (orange in my diagram) must match with the 12V terminal on the receptacle and the motor plug. Likewise, the 24V connection must use the other red wire and it must connect to the POS terminal on the battery on the right. It obviously must match up with the 24V terminal in the receptacle and on the motor plug. You must also add the jumper wire between the two batteries as shown. If that is indeed what you have done, then the motor should run on either 12 or 24 volts. But you have not indicated whether or not you know both batteries are fully charged. Just because you charged them does not mean they are good. They must be able to HOLD a charge. Since 12 volt seems to be ok, but 24V isn't then the battery on the right is suspect -- but ONLY if you are absolutely certain you have the wiring correct. Have you checked continuity of the three wires from the batteries to the receptacle and to verify which terminal in the receptacle they are connected to?

nonohamer21

Recruit

Your system is probably wired like this.

I am having a similar issue with a 1997 Stratos 176C that i just acquired. The boat was winterized when i bought it. it came with a brand new cranking battery and 2 4yr old interstate deep cycles to power the 24v 80 pound thrust bow mount (minnkota). Before i installed the 2 deep cycles i tested them both and found out that one of them was crap. Replaced it and now have 2 good batteries and have to get them wired up. On the boat there are 2 plug-ins for trolling motors. One plug in on the bow (this is the one i am currently using) and then there is another on the stern (unused at the moment). Like the poster above mentions, i have 4 wires coming from the bow (2 reds -labled "batt1"- that are connected together at the battery terminal end, and 2 blacks -labled "batt1"- that are separated and both have terminal ends). Then i also have 2 reds -batt2- and 2 blacks -batt2- (set up identically as the others) coming to the battery from the plug in on the stern. There is not a supplied wire to link the 2 batteries (this is where i was confused). Also, at some point, the previous owner put purple tape around both red wires and 1 black wire of the batt1 wires... ??? What do i have to do to make this 24 volt system run correctly?

Thanks for the help guys, i need to get this figured out because now that i am unsure i cannot shut my brain off!

BASCSTR

Cadet

Sorry to back so late on this, work has just gotten real hectic......silvertip, both batteries are brans new, week old deep cycle, fully cjarged according to the charger. On the starboard side in the cockpit area, there is a plug in that looks identical to the trolling plug in......accessory possibly and hence the other set of black and red leads. Im going to hook it up as youve shown and then all should be good......ill repost this weekend