circuit breaker problem

Nate31508

Recruit
I'm new to the forum thing so please bear with me. I'm also new to working.on boats but have learned a lot about my boat over the past few months. It has alot of issues but I will only throw this one out for now. The circuit breaker with my 24v trolling systems keeps going.out. may be twcie a year. I'm wondering do I have the wrong kind. I'm and idiot when it come to electricity just to let yall know .it is an inlike two prong breaker. Is the a different kind I should use. The last one I got from an old mechanic he says its the same kind the use on semi trucks. It work for a year. Ill take all the help I can get.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: circuit breaker problem

Make shure all connections are super clean,check them at every outing. Also they do wear out.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

NOt sure what current rating circuit breaker you are using, but maybe you need to go up in the rating. It sounds like you could be at the limit of current the breakers are rated for and that will work on them and fail quicker at that rating. For instance, if you are using a 30 amp breaker, maybe you could get a 40 amp breaker instead. But don't go above your wire capability either. If your wires are not the correct gauge that could be a problem as well. Check both those issues out and get back to us....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It may be the wrong rating and unable ti handle the current demand of the motor. What size breaker is it and which motor and thrust do you have.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

How old is the breaker? Old breakers will have corrosion in them, they'll trip more often due to heat build-up. The 50A should easily be able to handle your TM...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A 70# Minnkota can draw up to 42 amps max so a 50 amp breaker has a bit over 10% margin which is cutting things close. While that current draw is rarely reached, that, coupled with any derating of the breaker over time would suggest you need a bigger breaker. However, as was pointed out, do not do that unless the wire can handle that current. A breaker for a truck generally is installed in an area not subject to corrosion and they are likely not sealed so early failure is likely. Breakers made for marine use are sealed so you should consider a better quality device such as this one:

60 AMP Marine Circuit Breaker w/ Manual Reset - Rig Rite 360 - iboats

Nate31508

Recruit

Ok. Thanks guys. I will give the one in the link a shot.