Battery Trouble with Mercury Optimax 200

dtr1318

Cadet
The other day I started my engine for the first time this year on earmuffs only to have the engine malfunction alarm go off on the Smartcraft guages. I read into this some and decided it was time to replace on of the batteries. I currently have two batteries on my boat, both rated for 500 cca. It was my understanding that Optimaxes need at least 750 cca to function properly, so I decided I was going to replace the older of the two batteries. I went out and purchased a bigger battery rated for 800 cca and after fully charging it swapped it out for one of the two batteries. These batteries are hooked up to a standard Perko dual battery switch. Not realizing that the switch is only rated for 360 continuous amps, i turned the swtich to ALL and immediately sparks started flying from behind the switch and from the brand new battery. The negative terminal of the new battery completely melted off. My question is what exactly happened and what can I do to fix this problem? Is it a problem with the wiring or do I need to get a heavier duty switch. I really only need the batter to start my Optimax and run the trim, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Battery Trouble with Mercury Optimax 200

Did you hook up a negative cable to the battery switch? That's what it sounds like.

dtr1318

Cadet

Yes. The battery switch has 3 posts. Each positive of the batteries was on a post and the negatives of both batteries were on the same post

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

No negative connections belong on the switch. You shorted both batteries and likely fried the switch.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Here is what the wiring should look like.

Switch manufacturers using this terminal identification scheme should be taken to the woodshed and flogged. COM is a very "common" designation for "negative", "earth", or "ground". LINE 1, LINE 2, or BAT 1 POS, BAT 2 POS, and LOAD for the COM terminal would make much more sense and eliminate this common problem people have with these switches.

dtr1318

Cadet

Wow. I had no idea. So now that I am hooking up a larger battery what kind of switch should I be looking at buying. One is a 800 cca battery and the other is 500 cca

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The size of your existing switch is more than adequate.

800CCA is the amount of energy the battery can supply for 30 seconds at 0 degree F before the voltage drops. Your switch is rated to carry 360A continuously. The battery will give out long before you overheat the swtich.

dtr1318

Cadet

So I don't need to worry about the large draw of current when I start my engine and the lower amperage of the switch?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

No. That starting current is for a short duration.