Voltmeter shows huge drop when I trim outdrive. Is this normal?

simcole

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

This is my first post and my first boat I've ever owned. It's a 1996 Hurricane 24' deck boat with a 5.7L Volvo Penta DP. It's an awesome boat and well kept for it's age. My problem is the electrical of the boat. The radio didn't work when I bought it and I tore the dash apart to inspect. It looked like a 3 year old got ahold of some wire and electrical tape in there. I ended up re-doing a lot of the wiring in there, and there is more left to do. I believe there are still some grounding problems as well as hot wire problems. Anyway, when I trim the motor even at higher RPM (3000 ish), the volt meter shows a huge drop. Is my alternator bad? Is my volt meter bad? Is this part of the bad grounding? Here is a quick video.

Trim while running at about 2000 rpm and effect on volt meter. - YouTube

Thanks in advance for the comments.

Alumarine

Captain
Re: Voltmeter shows huge drop when I trim outdrive. Is this normal?

Hello and welcome. I would say totally normal.
The trim motor draws a lot of current.

sweet addiction

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello and welcome. I would say totally normal.
The trim motor draws a lot of current.
^^ Totaly agree. Mine has always done the same thing.

normal. dropping lower than 10v would be a problem yours is hardly moving

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I totally concur, mine did the same thing. It takes a lot of current to run the trim/tilt pump and that lowers available current for that amount of time. Absolutely normal...

Thalasso

Commander

Hi,

This is my first post and my first boat I've ever owned. It's a 1996 Hurricane 24' deck boat with a 5.7L Volvo Penta DP. It's an awesome boat and well kept for it's age. My problem is the electrical of the boat. The radio didn't work when I bought it and I tore the dash apart to inspect. It looked like a 3 year old got ahold of some wire and electrical tape in there. I ended up re-doing a lot of the wiring in there, and there is more left to do. I believe there are still some grounding problems as well as hot wire problems. Anyway, when I trim the motor even at higher RPM (3000 ish), the volt meter shows a huge drop. Is my alternator bad? Is my volt meter bad? Is this part of the bad grounding? Here is a quick video.

Trim while running at about 2000 rpm and effect on volt meter. - YouTube

Thanks in advance for the comments.

Your voltmeter shows condition of battery not your alternator.

Splat

Lieutenant

Your volt meter shows the current voltage in the electrical system at that moment. Nothing more. Learning to interpret it may take a little practice.

simcole

Seaman Apprentice

Well it looks like I came to the right place. Thank you everyone for the information. I'm definitely learning some things about boats along the way. I'm glad to see that my issues is a normal indication. Tomorrow is a dual battery perko switch install that should be easy. Later this week I rip out the circuit breaker panel and test all the leads. Then the major work is over and I'll be ready for spring!

Thanks.

IMG_1671_thumb.JPG