Navionics or LAakemaster

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Re: Navionics or LAakemaster

i prefer navionics but it all depends on your needs

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In Michigan Navionics tends to show more lakes, but some with old and inaccurate data. The problem is not that the lakes change, but rater that Navionics may not match GPS positions and that they often miss some details. For example, on one lake I fish, the Lakemaster shows a sunken island that Navionics misses. Lakemaster has fewer lakes, but the data is accurate. Also, it may depend on whos GPS and FF you buy. Lakemaster is now owned by the parent company of Humminbird, so HB has some extra features that get enabled with Lakemaster.

TerryMSU

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I use Navionics. I was going to get Lakemaster, but, after the buyout I don't think they were compatible with Lowrance units anymore.

Todd4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First, determine which chips work with your GPS/FF unit. The choice may already be made for you. :) Second, I suggest you research both sites and determine what you get for the actual lakes you plan to use. Also, I know Navionics offer different levels for their chips with various degrees of detail for the same lakes (again, depends on what your GPS/FF unit will accomadate). I ended up with Navionics for my Hummingbird because it included details of more of the lakes I planned to boat on (at the time - maps are always being updated) for my GPS/FF unit. I've been very pleased for what I bought mine for - not to run aground, in low lake level conditions, during our frequent droughts.

Happy shopping.

Todd

Haywood123

Seaman

What are you running for a graph and what do you want out of your maps? Each chip has their place. I run my Navionics chip in my Lowrance and I couldn't be happier with it. That being said, I just switched to an Ipilot Link which is run off of a humminbird and Lakemaster, both of which I am relatively new too, but so far greatly impressed with. With the bird and LM matched, there are a bunch of features you don't have available, like water table offsets and range highlights, but those are also features that are convenient for one person and the next person can easily live with out. I tend to avoid being biased and just run one of each