Led strip lights amp draw

natedog337

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just wondering if anyone knows about how much led strip lights draw. I'm installing 4 three foot strips on my boat thanks

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Led strip lights amp draw

That is a wide open question.
Without knowing how many LEDs are in each strip and how much each LED draws; Any answer is as good as another.
Somewhere between 1 and 25 watts per strip would be a reasonable ball park answer.:rolleyes:

I would ask what strips do you have?
Who manufactured them?
The voltage and current should be supplied by the manufacturer.
The SPEC Sheet should have all this information.

A battery and an Amp Meter would allow you to measure then directly.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

UncleWillie, I know exactly what you are trying to say, but trying to convey that to others not familiar with electronics is hard to explain. There is no correct answer to this question...period! The accumulated current usage is hard to determine not knowing the number of LEDs and their individual current draw for starters...

agallant80

Commander

Multi color LED strip is 4W per Meter. You buy them in 5 Meter strips and cut to what you want (every 3rd LED)

4 Wats * 5 Meters = 20W

Wats divided by volts = amps
20/12=1.6AH

With the LEDs on you will use about 1.6 amps per hour.

Long and short unless you are running your boat off of AAA batteries I would not worry about the power draw from LED lights. Keep in mind that not all LED lights are going to be 4W per meter but most of the strip LED lights sold on ebay are. That is where I got mine. I have two 5 meter strips. One in the cabin and one in the cockpit.

Hope this helps.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Multi color LED strip is 4W per Meter. You buy them in 5 Meter strips and cut to what you want (every 3rd LED)

4 Wats * 5 Meters = 20W

Wats divided by volts = amps
20/12=1.6AH

With the LEDs on you will use about 1.6 amps per hour.

Long and short unless you are running your boat off of AAA batteries I would not worry about the power draw from LED lights. Keep in mind that not all LED lights are going to be 4W per meter but most of the strip LED lights sold on ebay are. That is where I got mine. I have two 5 meter strips. One in the cabin and one in the cockpit.

Hope this helps.

agallant80, did your LED strips come with instructions as to how to cut those lengths or is there dropping resisters included with every LED? Reason I ask is if it has to be cut at three LED intervals/multiples then they are most likely in series meaning if one goes out all three would go out. If each LED has its own dropping resister then you could cut any length and not worry...

agallant80

Commander

Every 3rd LED has a copper mark where you can cut without making the strip bad. That is just the type I bought. There are tonnes of LED strips out there. What I ended up getting is below (see link) Its good if you want a long strip it will be a PITA if you want to cut it in to smaller strips you will have to splice connectors in etc. If you need several 3 foot sections than you would be better off to buy several 3 foot sections instead of one 5 meter section and cut/splice the ends on

5M SMD RGB 5050 Waterproof Strip Light 300 LED 44 Key IR Remote 12V 5A Power | eBay

agallant80

Commander

Oh other word of advice is if you want LED lights that can change color than buy the ones that have the RGBW LED in one tiny squair, I have one strip like that then one strip with separate RGBW LEDS. The one that has the all of the colord LEDS in one square is way better.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

All the strips vary in current. Depends on the LED size and the spacing. The ones I bought for my house are 6A for 5M or around 0.35A/ft and they are the 5050 size with 300 LEDs/meter.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Just wondering if anyone knows about how much led strip lights draw. I'm installing 4 three foot strips on my boat thanks

The package or website will have the info. Otherwise, like already stated, there is no way to know.