Garmin 4212 vs. 5008

RiffeShooter

Seaman Apprentice
So what do you think is better, a bigger screen or the touchscreen? Seems to me that bigger is better for seeing it. For me, it will be mounted overhead just above eye level. Doesn't seem to me that the premium price for a touch screen is that important. Am I wrong on that? Is touch the way to go?

My boating will be only in the Gulf for the most part. Either one will get be getting the Vision card.

Other than sizes, why the heck does Garmin make all this different versions in the same size, that doesn't make since. Lol.... Thanks!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Garmin 4212 vs. 5008

Bigger is better. Touch is better.
Havng said that, unless your ergonomics of your helm warrents a 12" display, I'd go with the 5208. Reason, the 4212 is well down the path of a discontinued product and the 5008 doesn't come with maps.

Why a Vision card? Into satellite views and 3D underwater cartoons?

RiffeShooter

Seaman Apprentice

Why a Vision card? Into satellite views and 3D underwater cartoons?

:lol: I actually have not seen the Vision card stuff in person, is it that bad? I just assumed it would be more detailed and more informative than the pre-loaded maps. If I am mistaken, I'm sure I can spend that $210 elsewhere...

12" is about the biggest I can fit in the area it will go. I was worried about the 8" screen being a little too small. Based on what you said, I guess the ideal one would be the 5012...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The pre-loaded maps are as good as they get. Vision buys you auto-routing, satellite views, 3d cartoons and a port guide. If you want bathy info, you'll need to buy Bluechart bathy

I run a seperate 8" fish finder so the 4208 does GPS only for me. No problems seeing it from the back of the boat. I would go with the 12" if used as a combo unit.

RiffeShooter

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. I was planning on running a separate fish finder and I'm up in the air on what to run on the Garmin. For some reason I'm not that fond of having a ton of stuff on one thing. I was thinking of purchasing the Garmin for Nav, the Furuno for fish finder, and unsure on radar, or if I even need it. I suspect if I do buy it, I would want a separate screen for it as well.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Thanks. I was planning on running a separate fish finder and I'm up in the air on what to run on the Garmin. For some reason I'm not that fond of having a ton of stuff on one thing. I was thinking of purchasing the Garmin for Nav, the Furuno for fish finder, and unsure on radar, or if I even need it. I suspect if I do buy it, I would want a separate screen for it as well.
I use the Garmin for GPS and fuel management and a Furuno sounder. I need radar maybe 5-6 times a year so I can't justify a seperate unit. Garmin supports radar overlay so I'll add it to the Garmin when I get around to it.

RiffeShooter

Seaman Apprentice

I like the fuel management idea, how hard is that to hook up and which setup do you use? Also, sorry for the goofy question as I have never owned a radar before but when you say you only need it a few times a year what do you mean? Is it just for night cruising? I was thinking it would be good to have for weather purposes mostly. Am I off the mark?

RiffeShooter

Seaman Apprentice

Looks like you just need the GFS 10 and it is cheap. Install don't look too bad at all. Man, Garmin is proud of that GMI 10 display!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I installed a GFS 10 fuel flow on the Garmin. Easy install. You will need to install a NMEA 200 backbone and an in-line flow sensor in the fuel line. Plug and play after that. Beware.....I knew I suck down fuel but seeing the actual figures displayed in front of you is depressing.

I’m an avid Striped Bass fisherman and spend a lot of time on the water in early March and late December when we have a lot of fog. It’s pretty unnerving trolling in the shipping channel of a major east cost port and all of a sudden you hear the prop wash of a passing freighter. Worst yet, a boat you had no idea was there, comes out of the soup and crosses within 25’ of your bow.

If you want radar mostly for weather, I'd go with XM weather instead

RiffeShooter

Seaman Apprentice

Excellent! The previous owner of the boat I just purchased swears up an down it get 4-5 mpg and I'm having a hard time with that so I plan on doing fuel flow. My boating will be mainly in the Gulf and I would really like to know what my range is. The boat is a Bayliner Trophy 2502 that has been converted over to a diesel so the tank size was cut down to 100 gallons. I know there is no problem going 50 miles out but ideally, I would like to see 100 miles out.

Agreed on seeing. You probably have that little voice in the back of your head going "cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching"...:lol:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Running diesel, I can see 4-5 MPG. I'm running a carbed 2 stroke and get almost 3 mpg at crusie on a calm day. Drops to under 2 mpg when it gets rough.

RiffeShooter

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I wish they made a dang 5210 that would be ideal. I think the 5212 is going to be too big by 1/2" or so. Based on this conversation I may just have to settle on the 5208 over the 4210 since the are being phased out. Shame to, cuz the 4210 comes with a whole bunch of extras like the backbone along with 2000 cables.

Let's say you buy the 5008 and the G2 vision card. Will you get the same maps as buying the 5208 (other than the cartoons)?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Vision is ”enhancements" only. No maps

I was not thinking. The 5XXX is the same vintage as the 4XXX series. Both will go unsupported at the same time. You might want to call Garmin and ask them how long they will support the units once they actually discontinue them. Garmin is pretty good about long term support so you could go with the 4210 and save some money

RiffeShooter

Seaman Apprentice

Cool. Will do! Interesting, the 5212 will go down with the 4xxx series. I will call to make sure. One thing that keeps me wanting to make the 5212 fit is the better display. I could probably do, just probably wouldn't look as good.:lol:

RiffeShooter

Seaman Apprentice

Alrightythen... I ended up getting the 7212 and I'll make it fit. :lol:

hordos

Recruit

Alrightythen... I ended up getting the 7212 and I'll make it fit. :lol:

sorry to go off topic but do you find the fuel meter accurate.I used one for a while and found it out to lunch . It was so far off it could`t be relyed on so I returned it. I was better off guessing.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

sorry to go off topic but do you find the fuel meter accurate.I used one for a while and found it out to lunch . It was so far off it could`t be relyed on so I returned it. I was better off guessing.
I've had mine for 4 years. Very accurate, never had a problem. Spot checks of daily usage where usually spot on

How was it inaccurate? The "level" reads directly off the sender in the tank. If your sender isn't accurate the level isn't accurate.