Humminbird 798 si

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Anybody have this unit? It seems like it has a lot o info to display on the smallish screen. I have the $900 now for one so I can use during spring this year, or I could wait til mid summer when I have enough cash to get the 898 or 998. Not sure I want to sacrifice springtime side imaging to hold off to a larger unit. Any input?

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Humminbird 798 si

I have a 798 si on an 18 foot Bow-rider.
If it was any larger I would not have any room to place it.
The Case is 9" Diagonal, corner to corner.

Print a Full Size picture of the 798, 898, and 998.
Cut out the pictures and see if they will fit where you anticipate.
The screen is razor sharp and fine detail is easy to read.
Go to a local sporting goods store and see one in person.

GpsRam2.jpgGpsRam1.jpg

Note: The included instruction for mounting the transducer are generalized and are incorrect for the SI Transducers.
The Si transducer must be mounted so it sees a clear shot fully left and right and can not look across the transom.
This requires that it be mounted to see under the keel.

Larry3215

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Can you tell me where you got that information on mounting the transducer?

I just ordered a 589ci HD SI, so I will be mounting mine soon.

I have a 798 si on an 18 foot Bow-rider.
If it was any larger I would not have any room to place it.
The Case is 9" Diagonal, corner to corner.

Print a Full Size picture of the 798, 898, and 998.
Cut out the pictures and see if they will fit where you anticipate.
The screen is razor sharp and fine detail is easy to read.
Go to a local sporting goods store and see one in person.

View attachment 185528View attachment 185529

Note: The included instruction for mounting the transducer are generalized and are incorrect for the SI Transducers.
The Si transducer must be mounted so it sees a clear shot fully left and right and can not look across the transom.
This requires that it be mounted to see under the keel.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Larry go to www.sideimagingsoft.com and go to the forums. They have tutorials on mounting the ducers. Let me know how you like the 598. It's awesome that hbird allows users to get into si for such a great price. Uncle willy, thanks for taking the time to post pics. That unit looks sexy!!!

UncleWillie

Captain

The info on mounting the Transducer is from the "School of Hard Knocks"!

I mounted it according to the Humminbird Instructions and the left Side Image (SI) was all noise.
Contacted Hummingbird and all they did is send pictures of NON-SI installations as examples.
I moved it to the right of the Bilge Plug so the Transducer was right at keel level.
Left and Right are now all clear.

If you mount it in the typical spot half way out the right transom, the left SI is looking through all the bubble filled water behind the transom while at trolling speed, and looking at Air while on plane.
Keep it just to the Right of the AV Plate of the out-drive to avoid disturbing the inflow to the prop.

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Humminbird 798 SI

Re: Humminbird 798 SI

... Uncle Willy, thanks for taking the time to post pics. That unit looks sexy!!!

Your Welcome,

RAM MOUNTS makes mount specifically for Marine Sonar/GPS units.
I have the "Rugged" Mount with the 1.5" Ball, and the unit still moves sometimes when catching air at 50mpg. :eek:

If you don't anticipate a super rough ride, the Lighter Duty mount with the 1" Ball, may be OK! ;)

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Will I actually sold my old motor and bought one with power tilt and trim mainly to get the skeg outta the way when using si!

UncleWillie

Captain

Will I actually sold my old motor and bought one with power tilt and trim mainly to get the skeg outta the way when using si!

I never had a problem with the motor physically being in the way.
The SI looks between the drive housing and the transom.
5 inches is all that is needed.

The issue is, the water directly at the transom is extremely turbulent and you need to be below all the backwash.
Some reports have indicated, that the transducer directly in front of the prop, injected air into the water flow causing the prop to ventilate at high planing speeds.