Bilge pump: manual to automatic

SonnyOB

Cadet
I have a manual bilge pump with a two way, on/off switch. I bought an automatic Rule mate 500 pump with the internal float switch. I want to hook it up without having to install a three way switch. Now, if I hook up the wires for the manual circuit to the existing switch and hook the wire for the automatic circuit straight to the battery with a fuse, would that work? Would I be able to use the manual circuit if for some reason I needed to?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Bilge pump: manual to automatic

I have a manual bilge pump with a two way, on/off switch. I bought an automatic Rule mate 500 pump with the internal float switch. I want to hook it up without having to install a three way switch. Now, if I hook up the wires for the manual circuit to the existing switch and hook the wire for the automatic circuit straight to the battery with a fuse, would that work? Would I be able to use the manual circuit if for some reason I needed to?

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... That'll work....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The Brown wire is the one you want hooked to the battery (with a fuse) for the automatic operation, the Brown/white wire is the one that would go to the switch for manual use.
Black is negative.

NOTE:
That pump does not have a float switch, it has a sensor in it. If it senses oil, it will not pump.

SonnyOB

Cadet

Thank you. Now when I turn on the manual switch, it should work fine? What happens if the manual switch is hit while the automatic circuit is already pumping?

Don S

What happens if the manual switch is hit while the automatic circuit is already pumping?

It won't hurt anything if that is what you're asking. It just won't shut off automatically with the manual switch turned on, it over rides the automatic.

SonnyOB

Cadet

Yes, that's what I was asking. I just didn't want to burn the pump out if it got hit with 24 volts. I'll hook it up like you say. Thanks Don

Don S

You wouldn't be giving it 24 volts, it doesn't work like that.

dkellogg3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sonny,

This is exactly what I want to achieve for my bow rider. If you're still around, mind posting a link to the pump you got?

Don,
As an aside, could one then wire up the switch to the new pump in parallel with the old and have both kick on with the manual switch?

Thanks!

dkellogg3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I appreciate it! Happy season to ya.