Fish Finders and Boat Speed

RyeWilkes

Cadet
Hey Guys,

I just bought a new garmin 150 fish finder. I was wondering how fast i could drive my boat while having the stern mounted transducer in the water.

Cheers,
Ryan

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fish Finders and Boat Speed

Hey Guys,

I just bought a new garmin 150 fish finder. I was wondering how fast i could drive my boat while having the stern mounted transducer in the water.

Cheers,
Ryan

If you mount it correctly you should be able to run at normal speed with the transducer attached. If the transducer is not mounted right you can end up with a fountain spray from the transducer when the boat is moving quickly.

Depending on how the transducer is mounted and the local water flow you may find that the fishfinder will not detect anything or show noise from water turbulence when moving at speed. When you slow down the fishfinder operation will improve.

When I was mounting my depth finder transducer (basically the same a a fishfinder transducer) I got a suction cup mount (portable mount) from the transducer manufacturer that let me test the transducer position and mounting angle in the water and at various speeds for best operation before drilling holes in the transom.

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Fish Finders and Boat Speed

Mine stays in place just fine up to about 50mph.
After that it sometimes jumps out of the bracket as if I hit something.
Once I slow down I use a boat hook to push it back down into operating position.
The bracket has a screw to lock it in the down position but I hesitate to install it.
I have considered putting some RTV on it to help in keeping it in place above 50.
If I actually hit something the RTV would let go before the bracket broke. Hopefully!