Handheld radios?

DirtyOldBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Me and my friend are fixing up our boats for a camping trip this summer, and I'm sure you know how reliable old boats are. :lol: Since our cell phones don't work at the lake, I want to get some handheld radios so we can talk to each other. I guess there are a lot to chose from...what kind of radio is going to give me the best range? FRS? CB? VHF? Other? I have no idea what the differences are. Are there handheld radios that can give me a reliable signal over a couple miles out in the woods?

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Handheld radios?

About 1000 options out there, Dirty. I went VHF because I fish offshore a few times/year and consider it an essential piece of safety gear. My main fishing buddy has a VHF on his boat and we can talk clearly to each other 6-8 miles apart offshore.
In the woods or on a lake? I'd get a pair of the "talk-a-bout" little radios. Cheap, reliable and I've talked to my hunting partners 3-4 miles away through dense trees.

bassman284

Commander

There was a fairly comprehensive thread on this subject a while back, linked here:

Radio discussionl

Most of the possible options are discussed here.

NYBo

Admiral

FRS or GMRS; the latter uses some of the same frequencies as FRS with greater power and range but requires a license.

UncleWillie

Captain

CB will be the pits! Huge antennas and low power.

Idle chit chat is frowned upon on Marine VHF.
Especially in Metro areas.
Marine VHF is not permitted on land ("in the woods").
If you are truly in No-Mans land ... who will know?
VHF is the only thing that the CG, Marinas, and Law/Rescue units monitor.

FMRS/GMS will give you similar range to VHF using Hand Held models.
Chit Chat and keeping track of the kids in the woods or at the Mall is OK!

It is mostly determined by line of sight as opposed to power with the Hand models.