Batteries not charging on Shore Power

Brent A.

Cadet
I keep my boat in the water hooked up to shore power. Recently, after not being on the boat for about 3-4 weeks, I tried to start up the engine but the battery was dead. I always keep the battery switch on all (as I was told to do so by my dealer) while plugged into shore power. I thought maybe the shore power cord had possibly come loose and drained the batteries, but checked the fridge, and it was ice cold. I unplugged the shore power, plugged it in again, checked shore power , converter switches and gauges, everything showed full voltage. I then tried to star the engine while connected to SP, but wouldn't crank. I waited about 20 minutes and it started up.
1 week later, unplugged shore power, tried to start. and wouldn't crank. I had full voltage while plugged in. Plugged back in, waited 10 minutes and it started.
Is this my charger not working, or are the batteries shot?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Brent

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Batteries not charging on Shore Power

Check the battery voltage while charging.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Connect a voltmeter to the battery (any of them). Plug in shore power. You should see voltage rise above 12.6. Continue to watch the voltmeter. If it suddenly drops or you hear a click in vicinity of the inverter/charger that may be a protection circuit opening. Charge the batteries and then have them load tested at any auto store.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How old are the batteries? Maybe they won't take a charge anymore.

Brent A.

Cadet

I checked the voltage on the battery while charging, it's over 13. I tried to start the engine on battery 1, nothing happens,except the warning beeps on the galvanic isolator indicator showing grounf failure. then tried on battery 2 (dual purpose house and starting battery, it started to crank then started clicking. This is while connected to shore power.
I also see a little discloration or brown arounf the shore power cord leading into the boat. My shore power is hard wired into the boat. What I can't understand is why it started a couple of days ago and now it won't while connected to shore power. The baterries are 1.6 years and 2.5 years old, always connected to shore power with coverter on.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You need to load test the batteries and the charger. It could be your charger is defective and has boiled them out.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Could be the whole problem might fix itself if you remove all the battery terminals and get them all clean and shiny and tightly reinstall them. Corosion can cause problems exactly like you are describing. Plus its free to do and won't hurt anything. JMHO

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Could be the whole problem might fix itself if you remove all the battery terminals and get them all clean and shiny and tightly reinstall them. Corosion can cause problems exactly like you are describing. Plus its free to do and won't hurt anything. JMHO

I agree. The batteries could be fully charging but the high draw of starting is lost on poor connections.