gas, speedometer and rpm gauges not working

lingcod510

Cadet
Just purchase 1997 Bayliner Trophy 115hp Outboard Yamaha.... The gas, rpm and speedometer dont work, I like at the wiring behind the gauges... seem like all the wires is connected except one is not connected for each gauges... Does anybody have any idea or know of a diagram, book, or video of some sort?? any reply is greatly appreciated.... Might take to a outboard repair shop but check here first... Thanks....

Re: gas, speedometer and rpm gauges not working

do you have any gauges that are working or are all the gauges out. also does the motor turn over from the key.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

A picture of the back of the gauges would be great.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Pictures aren't really necessary since every gauge except the speedometer needs +12 volts on the "I" terminal when the key is on, ground on the ground terminal, the a signal from the sender (fuel, temperature, trim or whatever) on the "S" terminal. The internal light ("L" terminal) for each gauge is typically fed from the NAV/ANC switch but in some cases that terminal is powered whenever the key is in the RUN position. A voltmeter is needed to verify that voltage is present. If some gauges work and others don't, suspect a sender or sender wiring problem. If none of the gauges work suspect a power or ground problem since all of the gauges are daisy chained from one gauge to the next. Looking at wiring is not a valid check. A multi-tester is your friend here. Speedometers are mechanical devices and require only +12 volts and ground for the internal light. A plastic tube runs from the speedo head to the pitot at the back of the boat. This will be a separate unit or built into the lower unit on the engine. Tachometers have a "sense" signal on the the "S" terminal that originates from the the charging system. If the battery is not being charged (look at the voltmeter) then that would account for the tachometer not working either. Fuel senders are typically 33 - 240 ohm resistive devices. You need a multitester to verify operation of any sender. If you use the search feature in this forum you will find a multitude of Fuel Gauge troubleshooting posts, most with diagrams and testing procedures. Other gauges work on the same principle. None of them work without +12 volts, ground and the sense signal.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

I guess I have been corrected. I thought a picture of your gauges that do not work and each having one wire off might help. Sorry for for the unnecessary request.

lingcod510

Cadet

Thanks for the reply guys... Turning the key turn the engine on but none of the three gauges work... Let me check again on all the wires and see if there s 12v power... Also will try and take some picture....will update soon thanks...

if the engine turns over then the power fuse should be good so that proberly means that the 12vdc is the problem. As its all gauges then check the first in line for both 12vdc+ and the ground. On some boats the plug between the main harness and the gauge harness is a problem as the pins get corroded so if you find that you do not have 12vdc across the gauge then thats a good place to check. if you have wires that are off and you are unsure what they go to either draw the gauge it looks like it went to or take a pic and we will help you work out what it should be connect to.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I guess I have been corrected. I thought a picture of your gauges that do not work and each having one wire off might help. Sorry for for the unnecessary request.

Yours was a valid request but in this case if ones head is already under the console taking a picture of wiring hanging down, one could generally determine where it came from rendering the photos unnecessary. Gauge wiring is about as generic as a gallon of milk so the back of each gauge looks the same and has the same markings as the one next to it and the one next to it. The speedometer isn't even an electrical device (except for paddle wheel driven instruments).

lingcod510

Cadet

First of all I would like to apologize about the gauges, I have 3 gauges an it the speed, fuel and battery... no rpm gauge. Alright guys, just took a few pictures of the wiring behind the controls panel.. I was wrong about on one wires not connecting.... The ground which is black is not connected so I connected to the ground source.. there is also a purple and blue wire that is not connected.. I test one of the wire to the 12v and the both the fuel and battery guage moved... so I know the gauges work... I just need to know how to download pictures on this thread so you guys can see it.... You guys know how to downloand pictures in here???

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Purple is the 12 volt feed to the "I" terminal on each of the gauges. The black wire goes to ground. All of those "I" and "ground" connections are simply daisy-chained (jumped) from one gauge to the next. Purple comes from the "A" (accessory) terminal on the ignition switch and ground is wherever you find it. You can upload your pictures to a web hosting site like Photobucket. Then copy the image link and paste it here. Here is a gauge wiring diagram.

instrumentWiring.jpg

im not 100% sure on yammy colors but purple should be gauge power, blue show be gauge lights and you have already worked out that black is ground. you can do a search for yammy color code which should confirm the colors used

lingcod510

Cadet

let me know if it work guys.... if u can see the pictures.... if you look at photo, I already connected the ground wire.. the Blue wire seem to be for the navi/light switch which turn the light for the gauges on/off.... The purple wire I think should be connecting to the engine harness to the ignition wire... The only problem is I don 't know what the color it is on the main ignition harness....

lingcod510

Cadet

so the most inportant wire now is the purple wire... it must be connected to the a wire that is on the main harness ignition switch... when we turn the key just before the we start the engine, the gauges for fuel and battery should be working... hmmmmmm

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The purple wire comes from the ignition wiring for Mercury outboards and Mercruiser IO's and most other companies, however, Yamaha uses a different color code than anyone else. What's the motors model number and we can figure it out.

EDIT: Found it, Yellow is ignition on your Yamaha switch, and that would connect to the purple wires going to the gauges.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Looks like the speed tube isn't connected and that would keep the speedometer from working...

lingcod510

Cadet

Thanks guys, finally had a chance to work on the boat yesterday... Got the gauges to work... Speed, fuel and battery.... Even got the nav light to work on the gauges... Thanks a lot...