Re Installing 24 Volt Trolling Motor with Battery Selector Switch

SmutSlam

Recruit
Hi, I've been lurking around this forum the last two days trying to piece this all together. I recently got an older boat that had a 24 volt trolling motor that the previous owner uninstalled, but I wanted to put it back in. It does not have a selector switch now, but was thinking of putting one in. I am just not positive on the wiring diagram, but here is what I have come up with from searching the web and this forum. Any help or input is appreciated.
TrollingMotorWiring.jpg

SmutSlam

Recruit
Re: Re Installing 24 Volt Trolling Motor with Battery Selector Switch

Well I'm glad I asked, lol. Thank you for the link.
I'm starting to think its just not worth trying to charge the trolling motor batteries from the alternator.
Would it really get a good charge if I'm not running for a long amount of time?
Most spots I fish are close by it's pretty rare that I run for more than a half hour. I fish inshore 90% of the time so the longest I run is in idle for no wake zones.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Re Installing 24 Volt Trolling Motor with Battery Selector Switch

Just because an engine has a charging system, it doesn't mean it has the capacity to charge multiple batteries. Since you show an outboard, but of unknown year and HP, let's assume it has a 16 amp or thereabouts charging system capacity. Now then -- lets look at the current draw from the troller. Being 24 volts, it is likely something larger than 55# of thrust which also means it is drawing around 50 amps worst case. So for each hour you run the troller (lets pick 1/2 speed or roughly 25 amps) you would need to run the outboard wide open for about an hour and a half. You are advised to forget trying to charge from the engine for this reason and for the fact you cannot mix 12 and 24 volt systems without an elaborate switching system. A standard dual battery switch will not work as you want it to. You are advised to forget the switch entirely and install a two (or three) output on-board charger that you plug into house power at the dock or at home. If you cannot make it all day with two batteries, your only reasonable choice is more or batteries with more capacity.