Hummingbird 581 i HD DI gps combo

mtorts

Seaman
Hey guys i am looking into getting this fish finder/gps and was just wondering if anyone has one that can comment on it. From what i understand the GPS is very basic but still works well. Any input on this device would be well appreciated. Thanks

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Hummingbird i HD DI gps combo

Which Humminbird model?

I bought a 581i HD DI and like it. I've only played with it for 12 hours one day while out trolling, but like it better than my old sonars. The built in chart isn't anything special, though I did find it and the GPS to be accurate, the charts are basically an outline of the lake with no detail at all. Navionics maps are supposed to have far more detail and 1' graduations for the lakes I go to often, I'll eventually get the maps, $150+-. The DI is pretty cool as I could see sunken trees that I never knew of before, even found a sunken forest out in the middle of the lake 1-2 miles from shore, and could see the trees in 90' of water. Fish don't show for carp in DI (they show as a dot) so I was running in split screen most of the time.

I was a long time Eagle/Lowrance user, but the Humminbird's had far more features in my price range. I also installed a 570DI (last years model) at the stern so I can see contours while trolling easily. I wasn't going to buy 2 sonars, but the 2 units are swappable since they use the same ducer and base unit.

The only complaint I have is that the base unit does not fold back as far as my old Eagle did.. Oh well, can't have everything...

mtorts

Seaman

It is a model 581 thanks for the review very helpful. I figured the GPS was very basic but as long as I can mark way points and find my way back to the dock I'm happy.

fishrdan

Admiral

Which Humminbird model?

:facepalm: Sorry about that, when I replied the model number got chopped off and just showed Humminbird i HD DI. (No idea why the forum did that as the original title shows the model number... )

That's about what I deem the stock map good for, getting me back to the dock if a dust storm blows in or I get stuck navigating at night. It's not much use for fishing (to me) as it shows no bottom contours.