Humminbird witch one to use

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all I have a humminbird 150 low end and I just got a brand new in the box humminbird matrix 10. Should I use the the matrix or leave my 150 and what is the difference. Also how do I get the GPS to work on it. Thanks Dan

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Humminbird witch one to use

Which one do you like better? Do you have the instructions?

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well the matrix has a peak power off 2000 witch the 150 has no where near the peak to peak power and I don't have the matrix hooked up yet plus the matrix has a 12 grayscale the 150 only has a 4 level. But the matrix is 12 years old but new so it's hard to decide

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Screw it, then. Install and use both!!

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just read reviews on both- seems the Matrix 10 needs a handheld gps which is NMEA compliant. NMEA is a communication standard and unfortunately most automotive purpose GPS units like Tom Tom or the Garmin Nuvi are not NMEA compliant. Do can also probably get one of the gps hockey puck mounts that are designed to mount to the roofs of cars.

The Matrix 10 seems very similar to the humminbird 365i which I just purchased and am very happy with, except the 365i has the gps built in. I wouldn't be surprised if both systems use the same transducer so like Levinz11 said, try both! If not both, I'd go with the GPS!

tahoejag

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got the Matrix 17 as a gift aprx 7 years ago. It has alot of features and menu's on it; but I pretty much leave it on an auto setting. It is far from the nice stuff made today, but it serves it purpose for my use and am pleased with its quality. If your looking to connect GPS unit to it, it may depend alot on which unit that you have. I have a Garmin Etrex (older version) handheld GPS that is NMEA compatible to connect to the Matrix 17. About 3 years back, I started looking to purchase the Humminbird connecting cable from the Matrix 17 to the GPS. Haaa, wouldn't you know it...Humminbird discontinued making the cable that is for the Matrix 17 to the Garmin Etrex gps units. However they do sell a universal cable from the finder to whatever unit you may have...(its open leads and you have to splice into whatever you would be connecting to). I have found the connector online that plugs into my Etrex and has open leads on other end...so splicing will be in order, but haven't ordered it yet. Here's the shocker....Between the two cables....its about $50 plus. Good luck with your choices....Like the above said....hook em both up!