Best fishfinder/GPS combo to buy?

HeyGuy14

Cadet
I will be buying a GPS/fishfinder combo in the next couple weeks. I am willing to spend around $700 top end, unless a extra 100 or so buys me something so much better. I would really like to keep it below this. Any info would be great, this is for my first boat.

HeyGuy14

Cadet
Re: Best fishfinder/GPS combo to buy?

Well I am really considering the new Lowrance Elite 7 HDI! Anyone have an opinion?

jshelest

Cadet

I bought a humminbird 597 ci DI HD combo unit! best $600 i've spent!

palace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am happy with my Lowrance Elite-4 DSI, easy to operate and clear screen. Got it for Christmas and have been out twice already with it. Looking to get Navionics hot spot SD card for my b-day. Install was easy too.
Well I am really considering the new Lowrance Elite 7 HDI! Anyone have an opinion?

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome to the insanity and information overload of trying to choose a Fishfinder/GPS Combo unit!

Frankly, I don?t think you can buy a ?bad? unit from any of the Fishfinder/sonar/GPS combo units being made by the major manufacturers. It?s more about features important to you based on how you are going to use it (mostly navigation, mostly fishing, etc.). Past experience plays a big part on a lot of boaters? preferences and how disgruntled they may have become if a new unit becomes defective. That?s how I started to narrow down my most recent buying decision. So here?s my experience I?ll share.

Past:
I started (over 20 years ago) with an Eagle brand (lower end unit made by Lowrance) that I put it on a 22 ft Cuddy and also used it on a 16? square stern canoe. Although a more ?basic? unit, it performed very well in both boats. Well enough to give me confidence to buy a Lowrance LMS-522C iGPS (internal antenna) for a 16 ?? Lund I bought in 2001. I also bought the Navionics Hot Maps and loved the detail and additional info it provided over the standard internal maps. I was very impressed with its reliability and operation, although a number of people in forums criticized the performance of the internal antenna model; I never had an issue with it.

Present:
When I bought my new boat in 2011, I did look at a number of manufacturers and tried to be open minded as I knew the technology continued to improve. Part of my goal was to upgrade to the newer ?structure? technologies and get as large a screen that I could fit/afford. I encountered a dimension issue on what would fit on my ?stylish? dash at the helm. I only had so much room to fit the unit (I actually pieced cardboard together in the overall dimensions of each unit I was interested in to see how they would fit in my limited space and make sure the dash instruments could still be seen clearly). I liked that the one Humminbird model could control the Canon downriggers, had good side scanning reviews and decent reviews overall? but it was too large (wide). I ended up with the Lowrance HDS-7 Gen 1 with StructureScan LSS-1 (I was a bit too early to capitalize on the Gen 2). Using a RAM Mount, I could now fit a 7? screen in the space. Due to past experience, I had good confidence in going with Lowrance and I haven?t been disappointed in its performance. The StructureScan is amazing technology and I?m only on Gen 1. I?m also used to the ?logic? Lowrance uses going through their menu selection to access features which helped me get it up and running pretty quick. While not quite as detailed as the Navionics Hot Maps, the ?Insight? maps are pretty good to the point that I?m still debating on spending the extra money on the Hot Maps (?..I?m pretty sure I?ll end up getting Hot Maps eventually). Understand that these high technology units are loaded with features and adjustments. Although you?ll see reviews as who prefers what, it will take you time ?playing? to get used to any unit to be able to have it perform to your overall satisfaction.

So I?ve had three Lowrance products at various ages and points of technology all with satisfactory results, I guess that makes me a flag waver for Lowrance.

Hope this helps!

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I bought a humminbird 597 ci DI HD combo unit! best $600 i've spent!

Ditto! However, the maps in the unit are useless. You will want to purchase either lakemaster or Navionics maps. Depending on where you are located, I prefer Lakemaster.

TerryMSU

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought this exact unit, was advised it for my usage, downscan is quite good and getting charts incl w transducer for $665 cnd I paid made it a deal. However I am trying to find out if it is ASI compatible with Standard Horizon GX2150 VHF and Link 8 VHF by Lowrance, since it has one NMEA output. I am pretty sure it will support AIS but I am waiting for Lowrance or SH to confirm with me as those I have inquired with seem to not be sure