Audio guys... help me out here...

chrisf695

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I am in the market to upgrading my stereo system... As of now it bumps pretty good, but my deck went out on me so i thought if Im going to replacing my deck then maybe the amp or sub. Any help would be great. I feel like my current system is outdated.

Right now i have...

4 x JBL ms9200 speakers (100 watts each)
1 x 8" polk 250 watt sub
1 x MTX PRO75x2 AMP
Getting new deck, current one broken

Specs on amp are....

RMS Power measured at 12.5 Volts DC:
37.5 watts x 2 into a 4 ohm load with less than 0.05% THD+N
75 watts x 2 into a 2 ohm load with less than 0.1% THD+N
150 watts bridged into a 4 ohm load with less than 0.1% THD+N

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Audio guys... help me out here...

I just purchased JL Audio M400/4 Amp. It's a class D amp which draws less and has a smaller footprint.
In the cockpit I plan on having two JL Audio M770's (7.7" two way coaxials) running at 4 ohms stereo on channels 1&2 from the amp (75w rms) and then channels 3&4 from the amp bridged to a 10" sub 4 ohms (150 watts). My other clarion cabin coaxial speakers will be powerd off of the head unit. I went with the Sony CDX-H910UI for the receiver.

Is your sub powered?

ps - my guess this will be in electronics shortly...

captain zac

Petty Officer 1st Class

Clarion M502
Bluetooth
Very happy
Put a 502 in my daughters car

Harry

chrisf695

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do not know if the sub is powered... Im pretty sure its not powered. But is that amp I have any good? I know its like 11-12 years old.

The Clarion m502 is one of the two i was looking at buying... the other one is the Clarion m309. I would like a cd changer with the deck i buy.

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

I do not know if the sub is powered... Im pretty sure its not powered. But is that amp I have any good? I know its like 11-12 years old.

The Clarion m502 is one of the two i was looking at buying... the other one is the Clarion m309. I would like a cd changer with the deck i buy.

That looks like a nice head unit. I can't remember now why I went with the Sony over the Clarion. I am replacing my Clarion from 2005 because the 05 unit isn't MP3 compatible. That was more important than CD's to me...less to bring aboard and more music.

The reason I ask about the sub being powered is it looks like thats a 2 channel amp.

Do you know if the speakers are run in series? Both Lefts one 75w channel and both Rights on one 75w channel? Or are the fronts powered by the amp and the rears powered by the old receiver? Or - maybe the sub is powered by the AMP and the speakers are powered by the receiver?

If you can bring everything back to a single amp that would be a low cost configuration. JL Audio makes a M600/6, six channel amp. Run your 4 JBL's, stereo, to channel speaker out's on the amp 1&2 and 3&4 at 75w RMS - and then bridge channels 5&6 to your sub.
You should have plenty of inputs to accept you front and rear, left and rights as well as the sub. JL Audio may be a little on the high side but it's a quality marine amp.

captain zac

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you like CD's
then just put your CDs on a finger drive and you will not have to carry CDs
The M502 will play finger drives direct

Harry