Compass light replacement?

Fistful

Cadet
I have a new to me boat with a flush mount Saturn compass above the dash. The internal light has been out since I've owned it...going on my second year now (this makes night navigation difficult with only the GPS as my source of heading). Needless to say I have Googeled the heck out of this question and not come up with any answers. Is there access to change this bulb out from underneath? Does any one know what particular bulb this would be?

While on this topic, I also have a couple gauges out (Faria) which also have burned out bulbs (gauges work fine). Same questions as above.

Thank you for any insight you may be able to offer.

drtyTshrt

Seaman
Re: Compass light replacement?

I just purchased my boat and my compass light is out. I asked the guy and he said it never worked. While working under the helm i looked up and the wires from the light switch to the compass were not connected. I connected them and it works. I figured that it was just to far of a reach to connect them for who ever installed the compass. Check your fuses and wires.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Follow the wires into the compass. The light is at the end of those wires. If the bulb is replaceable there should be access to it. But you won't know until you look. Once you pull the bulb, the number should be stamped on the base. The same thing applies to the gauge backlights. Those gauges have a black or gray plastic lamp holder that simply twists left a few degrees to release it. The bulb is in the holder.

Fistful

Cadet

Thanks drtyTshrt and Silvertip. I will check out both of those suggestions. I plan on visiting it in storage here soon. Just wanted some thoughts from others prior to getting there.

Thalasso

Commander

I have a new to me boat with a flush mount Saturn compass above the dash. The internal light has been out since I've owned it...going on my second year now (this makes night navigation difficult with only the GPS as my source of heading). Needless to say I have Googeled the heck out of this question and not come up with any answers. Is there access to change this bulb out from underneath? Does any one know what particular bulb this would be?

While on this topic, I also have a couple gauges out (Faria) which also have burned out bulbs (gauges work fine). Same questions as above.

Thank you for any insight you may be able to offer.

On the Faria gauges, there is no wire for the bulbs. They are on a printed circuit. There should be a cap on the back that you turn and pull out to access the bulb

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

On the Faria gauges, there is no wire for the bulbs. They are on a printed circuit. There should be a cap on the back that you turn and pull out to access the bulb

There is an "L" terminal on the gauge. That is a separate 12 volt feed to the light from the NAV/ANCHOR or panel light switch. The cap is the gray or black lamp holder I discussed.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

While your at it, considering changing all the bulbs over to red to minimize night blindness