nmea 0183 Garmin to Furuno radar 1715 neg. connection question

rabristol

Seaman Apprentice
I am connecting my Garmin 545S to my Furuno 1715. On the Garmin it shows to connect nmea 0183 Neg. to the battery ground, however, the Furuno shows to connect it to the other devices input neg. Does the Furuno 0183 nmea neg. wire go to the battery ground?

Thanks

NYBo

Admiral
Re: nmea 0183 Garmin to Furuno radar 1715 neg. connection question

That sounds right.

rabristol

Seaman Apprentice

Got it! Thanks for all the help. I am not in the habit of connecting any wires I am not sure about. I have seen too much smoke from people that did?

jhebert

Ensign

I am connecting my Garmin 454S to my Furuno 1715. On the Garmin it shows to connect nmea 0183 Neg. to the battery ground, however, the Furuno shows to connect it to the other devices input neg. Does the Furuno 0183 nmea neg. wire go to the battery ground?

Thanks

There is no such thing as a "negative" signal in NMEA. NMEA either has non-inverted signals, marked with a plus sign, or inverted signals, marked with a negative sign. These are not polarities.

NMEA outputs can be either single-ended or differential. You should not connect a differential output inverted output (usually marked with the minus sign) to ground. You either connect it to a NMEA differential input inverted input (usually marked with a minus sign) or let it float. Insulate the conductor and leave it unconnected.

If the NMEA output is actually single-ended, there will not be an inverted output line.

rabristol

Seaman Apprentice

Garmin 545S has a schematic that shows a (+) and (-) for the 0183 NMEA. Garmin told me to connect the (-) to my negitive battery ground. The same set up is on my Icom VHF radio and Icom told me to connect the (-) 0183 NMEA wire to the negitive battery or it will not transfer data. My Garmin has the single ended and the Icom VHF IC-M504 has what looks to be a differential. I didnt ask the tech at Icom if it was single ended or differential. I hooked up the (-) to ground per Icoms tech. and all is well.

jhebert

Ensign

Garmin told me to connect the (-) to my [negative] battery ground.

That is fine if you are talking about an input. Let me repeat my advice given earlier:

You should not connect a differential output inverted output (usually marked with the minus sign) to ground.