Bow light issue

goblerblaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Xpress boat that I can't get the Perko bow light to work. There is voltage to the base and to the top of the light when plugged into the base- but the bulb want burn. I looked at Perko weeb site and they call for a 12 volt, 10 watt bulb. I have been trying a 13 volt 10 watt- would it really make that much difference? This is a "felston style " bulb that looks like an old style glass fuse in a car.

Any ideas besides trying to find a different bulb? Another wierd thing is that all bulbs test good for continuity, but none of the 3 I have tried will burn when holding a wire jumper from the battery to each end of the bulb. Battery is hitting 12 volts on the test meter.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bow light issue

Are the terminals clean where the bulb touches the contacts? A 13 volt bulb should work fine.

You also need to check the fuse, and any wire connections for being loose or corroded. They may make enough of a connection to show voltage on a volt meter, but not allow enough amperage to flow to power a bulb.

Bifflefan

Commander

What are you using as a ground when you test the voltage at the prongs?
You may have a bad ground wire or connection in the plug at the base of the pole or in the pole it self.

Try using a test lead from the + side of the battery to the - side of the plug.
Also you can try new light pole also, if you are both power and ground on the plug (boat side).

goblerblaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When i put a volt meter across the top and bottom contacts where the lite bulb goes , I get 12 volts or better. I have tried another exact same lite and three bulbs. I get continuity across all bulbs , but none will burn when I run a wire from the plus and neg side of the battery straight to each end of the bulb. The battery is at 12 volts or better.

This lite has 3 prongs in the base. I think one is for a small regular lite that is in the back of the red/green lite. Neither bulb will burn. I guess I willntry the ground deal. I am using the test leads off the volt meter to the prongs, and then the contacts where the bulb plugs in.

THX

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Post a picture or a model number of your light. Perko has made hundreds of different types of lights over the years.

UncleWillie

Captain

Jump the bulbs across a battery with a short wire to test them.

What do you mean by, "I get continuity across all bulbs".

They should measure well less than 10 ohms.
If you have your fingers on the test leads when measuring, it will measure your fingers. (>10k Ohms)
The actual numbers matters more than just Continuity.

Look closely at the bulbs; Do they look good?
Automotive Dome light lamps from the auto-parts store fit and work.

goblerblaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess I have a short in the wire from the back light-and switch- to the bow lite. I made some short jumpers from the positive battery post and negative and stuck the bare wires into the ports on the bottom of the light. It will work like that. Thanks for the suggestions ! !! Still can't figure out why I get voltage when the light is plugged in the bow base, but the light will not burn ??????

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

you have a bad connection.try a test light, availalbe at auto parts. they draw less than an amp. it should light.next take your volt meter leads connect to boat wiring for light then touch each end to bulb, does voltage drop significantly when touched to both ends? bad connection ,can't handle amp draw. now to find if its the positive or neg use jumpers one at a time from a known good source. let use know.

goblerblaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you have a bad connection.try a test light, availalbe at auto parts. they draw less than an amp. it should light.next take your volt meter leads connect to boat wiring for light then touch each end to bulb, does voltage drop significantly when touched to both ends? bad connection ,can't handle amp draw. now to find if its the positive or neg use jumpers one at a time from a known good source. let use know.

I have taken some jumpers from the bow light base to the terminal block in the bow that is supplied by the trolling motor battery- thus eliminating the bow light wiring that comes from the light switch in the back of the boat. The light burns when I plug it in the base now. Now I have a functioning bow lite, but it doesn't work off the switch. I guess there is a bad connection from the switch to the front- but I am wanting to use the boat while I am off work during Christmas break- so now I can. I will mess with it after duck season... thanks for all the help- I will save for future reference.

Merry Christmas

Last edited: