Lowrance Mark-5x DSI or Humminbird 571 HD DI

fishrdan

Admiral
Does anyone have a Lowrance Mark-5x DSI sonar, how do you like it and how does it perform?

I'm getting a second sonar for my boat and looking at either a Lowrance Mark-5x Pro, or Mark-5x DSI. I'm leaning towards the DSI so I can see detail of what's in the water, structure/cover, but the reviews on this model are not all that great due to it's lack of marking fish. From what I've read, the Mark-5x DSI isn't supposed to mark fish in the traditional manner with arches and symbols and I'm not really too concerned about it's "fish finding" qualities as I all ready have a Eagle Fishmark 480 that works well. I plan to run the Mark-5x DSI at the same time as the Fishmark 480. One of them located at the helm and the other as the stern, so I can see depth changes quickly and easily while trolling.

I'm not sure if I'm going to be happy with the DSI model and don't want to spend the extra money if it's not going to be worth it.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lowrance Mark-5x DSI

Re: Lowrance Mark-5x DSI

As a second unit it should be OK, you can see fish, but they don't stand out or look the same as on a normal FF.

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Lowrance Mark-5x DSI or Humminbird 571 HD DI

Thanks ondarvr, I've been doing more research and it looks like Humminbirds's 571 HD DI unit has more features than Lowrance's Mark-5x DI, and now I'm trying to decide if I should jump ship to Humminbird.

The 571 HD DI is selectable between DI and the old traditional 2D sonar (and I think split screen with DI and 2D). Pretty cool compared to the Lowrance being stuck in DI mode all the time. I don't necessarily want DI all the time as if it's choppy DI might blur, and if we are anchored DI won't show squat.

Maybe Humminbird's 581 HD DI since it has GPS included?...

(edited thread title)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I haven't used the Humminbird, but I was told by a person that sells them (a rare knowledgeable one) that the Lowrance DSI is a step above the humminbird. It’s odd they don’t do a combo unit at the lower end though.

fishrdan

Admiral

I was told by a person that sells them (a rare knowledgeable one) that the Lowrance DSI is a step above the humminbird.

Do you know if that's for the high end sonars, the budget models or both?

chriscraft254

Commander

Man, Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Service from each brand is good and these are basic units. If you feel like spending a little more I would look into the hds-7 model from lowrance. I have two of them and they are great units. Split screen on anything less than a 7 inch is basically worthless imo.