Humminbird SI vs. Lowrance SI

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Hey guys I am looking for some opinions here. I am on a budget. I have saved up $1400 for my first GPS/CHartplotter combo. I kept saving money, and before I clicked the buy it now button on ebay, decided to hold off. Now I am well into the side imaging budget category.

Here are the two units that I am torn between. Humminbird 998c SI (Ebay for $1400 and up, new) and the Lowrance HDS-7 Gen2 with LSS-2 structure scan (also around $1400 and up on ebay, brand new)

I was looking into the ILink for the Minnkota, but I live in VA and Lakemaster does not have a chip currently for the state. There is no idea if/when this will happen. The screen on the 998 is also large, at around 8". There is no map pre-loaded onto this unit, $150 for freshwater, $250 for salt. That being said, the GPS capability is way nicer on the Lowrance, because they have a fully 3D map pre-installed onto all of the Gen2 models. But, the screen is smaller at 6.4", and there is a separate structure scan (side and down imaging box) that has to be set up in the boat. The larger HDS-8 Gen 2 with LSS-2 is in the $2000 range, but has a screen to match that of the Humminbird. Any input guys???

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Humminbird SI vs. Lowrance SI

One other thing. The staff at basspro seemed to know what was up. They said that Lowrance outsold Humminbird 8:1, which is an incredible ratio. There is also a HDS-7 Gen2 Touch, which has a slightly larger screen than the non-touch, and can be had four around $1450 on ebay. Then you must purchase a $200 LSS-2 transducer for the SI. It has the structure scan box INSIDE the main unit. I am just a little concerned about getting the touch screen all messy, operating the screen with gloves on, and operating the unit when it is cold out. I know that my iphone has issues with the touch screen when it gets insanely cold outside. Plus it is the first unit that they have released for touch, so Im sure they still have some kinks to work out......

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I lean towards the Lowrance, I haven't used the touch screen version yet.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I lean towards the Lowrance, I haven't used the touch screen version yet.

Thanks ondarvr. I know you are on some big water too so it is good to hear from you.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If you get the Lowrance the manual is almost useless, go online and look at the videos and then just go out and try stuff, it takes a while.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Have you seen lowrances new 3d mapping? When you look at the lake bottom it looks like a mountain range!! Amazing. I also just found out that the ipilot link will still work with the humminbird without the lakemaster chip, it just won't do the follow the contour feature. I hung up on this decision. I'd like to map out a course or points on my gps and then have the trolling motor follow it, but I LOVE the new hds touch!!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

A couple of thoughts:
1. Touch screen is the only way to go. Once you use touch screen, buttons sux
2. A "MFD" remote is worth it's weight in gold if you're a fisherman
3. 3D and satellite views are nothing more that CPU power sucking gimmicks.
4. When was the last time you saw a Hummingbird on a charter boat?
5. The staff at bass pro might know which was is up but.... I would not put any more value on their opinions than what you paid them for it. ;)

sutor623

Rear Admiral

A couple of thoughts:
1. Touch screen is the only way to go. Once you use touch screen, buttons sux
2. A "MFD" remote is worth it's weight in gold if you're a fisherman
3. 3D and satellite views are nothing more that CPU power sucking gimmicks.
4. When was the last time you saw a Hummingbird on a charter boat?
5. The staff at bass pro might know which was is up but.... I would not put any more value on their opinions than what you paid them for it. ;)

Thanks for the input! And good point, I cant remember seeing a humminbird on a charter boat...... But, my friend has the 1198c and let me say, that thing is impressive. Beautiful resolution, no lag-time, finds the striper on the lake for us very well!! I think Humminbird has come a long way, and johnsonoutdoors has bought humminbird, cannon outriggers, minn kota, lake master, and who know what else. The only way to link all of that up to date is with the humminbird. Just a thought.

Charlie in TX

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a Humminbird 997. I have been happy with it. I had it in a bay boat and did a fine job of SI in that skinny water. This fall I bought an offshore boat. I moved the 997 into it. I am in the market for a 798.

There were 2 things I wanted when I bought the 997, side image and GPS/waypoint. Lorance did not have structurescan at the time so I did not consider it. The 997 does the things I needed well enough that I am buying another Humminbird.

My buddies all use Lorance and are happy. I am sure you will be happy with which ever you get.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I have a Humminbird 997. I have been happy with it. I had it in a bay boat and did a fine job of SI in that skinny water. This fall I bought an offshore boat. I moved the 997 into it. I am in the market for a 798.

There were 2 things I wanted when I bought the 997, side image and GPS/waypoint. Lorance did not have structurescan at the time so I did not consider it. The 997 does the things I needed well enough that I am buying another Humminbird.

My buddies all use Lorance and are happy. I am sure you will be happy with which ever you get.

Thanks Charlie. My question to you is this. If you are getting a newer humminbird why go with the 798? The screen is only 5", which for me would be killer on the eyes. I'd probably save up and get the 898, as it can be had for $300ish more dollars.

Charlie in TX

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just don't hate the fish that much any more. :rolleyes:

Well my wife would disagree. I went way over budget this year.

If I recall correctly, the 898 also has 8000 watts p-p while the 798 has 4000.

On my 997, when it was on my skinny water boat, I seldom needed the split screen mode. In addition, the wife and I bought land just off East Matagoda. I will be fishing the same water for the foreseeable future. After I learn the structure and have it marked as a waypoint, SI will become less of an asset.

shh, So having said all that, I could easily see me getting a 1198 for the offshore boat and putting the 997 back in the skinny water boat.