Humminbird 787 2ci transducer and head unit problem

the camper

Recruit
Transom mount TD bracket broke while 20 miles offshore. I had no way of securing or fixing the issue at the time. On the way home, the TD removed itself from the wire. Unfortunate transom damage as well as the TD was banging around by the wire for a few hours until it finally broke off. The head unit started showing some crazy temps while it was banging around. Temp up to 170 degrees F. Fishing in 68-70 degree water. Finally stopped showing temp and any sonar signal. Looked back to find out the TD was gone. Why do they make these brackets out of cheap plastic? I tried to plead my case to Humminbird without avail. Purchased a new TD. This time I opted to go with an in hull angled shoot through (Deadrise is 17 degrees). Had to buy a seperate temp probe. Ran all the wires and got her all set to test and my head unit is still reading 160 plus degrees with the new probe. I called Humminbird again and they say my head unit is probably damaged because of the TD seperation and being run on the way home from fishing withought a TD attached. How is this possible. Once again I tried to plead my case that it was the plastic TD that was the original problem. No luck. They offered to fix it for 180 dollars. I am already out 80 for the TD and temp probe. So, my question is: has anybody heard that running a severed TD cable would cause damage to my Humminbird 787 2ci head unit? Will a software update help?. Is there a way to do a "reset" on the unit? Any help would be appreciated. Nothing but trouble with this unit so far. Now out of warranty. Aughhhh. I just want to go fishing.

Regards,
Terry

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Humminbird 787 2ci transducer and head unit problem

Running a head unit with a severed or damaged cable is going to mess up a head unit. It is possbile becouse your sending electrical current thru a cable shorted to ground. I'd be surprised if you didn't blow the pulse generator as well.

You get what you pay for when it comes to sonar units. A quality transducer costs more than your unit.

UncleWillie

Captain

...I had no way of securing or fixing the issue at the time...

I am surprise you didn't have any fishing line onboard that you could use to tie it up to keep it from beating itself to death.

Larry3215

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im pretty sure it says somewhere in your user guide to never run the head unit without the transducer attached.

Running pretty much any hi powered electronics without the proper load attached (transducer in this case) will almost always end in disaster.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Self inflicted damage is rarely covered under a warranty. The bracket broke because you likely hit something that tore it off. It happens. But you made the situation worse by not turning the unit off and using a shoe lace, fish line, tape, or anything else to tie up the transducer. "How is this possible you ask"? Did you really expect the transducer to hang on at whatever speed you were going? Did it not occur to you that the banging was damaging the transom? It is electronic and the unit is designed as a system. It is not designed to be run without everything attached. Sorry to be critical but I have little sympathy for folks that continue to operate something or fail to investigate and take appropriate steps to prevent further damage when a problem occurs.