Need Help Wiring Boat

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just bought a Starcraft Jet Star 15'. Currently it is completly gutted.

Anyway, I need help with the wiring big time! Is there any material that I can read/look at so learn more? Any help appriceated!

I have a battery that needs to be attatched to a switch panel, that has Bow Light, Stern Light, Couresty Light, Bilge Pump

Thanks!

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need Help Wiring Boat

I am ordering the book. Is there another link tht I can used hile waiting for the book to come in?

The sticky notes I have looked at however; they are not what I needed.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here is a general diagram of an outboard, an ON/Off battery switch, fuse for the power going to the front of the boat, and wiring going to the helm fuse panel.
From that fuse panel you would add your individual circuits.

attachment.php

You can add resetable circuit breakers instead of the 20A fuse, use larger wiring for more amperage, better fuse panels, etc. But it gives you a general idea how power gets to the fuse panel at the helm.

Attachments

• Batt to helm.jpg
    Batt to helm.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 0

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I am by no means an expert and this was my first wiring job. Take you time and research.. ask all the questions u need... I had never worked with electrical systems before and was able to completely wire my boat from scratch... Here is the diagram I made. Again there are prob errors but I followed this when installing and haven't had any trouble to this day... Use all good quality materials etc. Hope this helps

Attachments

• Revised_wiring_diagram(1).jpg
    Revised_wiring_diagram(1).jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1

Don S

I have a battery that needs to be attatched to a switch panel, that has Bow Light, Stern Light, Couresty Light, Bilge Pump

What would really help is if you posted a picture of a switch panel you would like to use. You know what will fit and what you would like to see in there.
Understand also, that your engine, and engine instruments are all separate from the accessories like your lights, pumps, etc.

I am by no means an expert and this was my first wiring job. Take you time and research.. ask all the questions u need... I had never worked with electrical systems before and was able to completely wire my boat from scratch... Here is the diagram I made. Again there are prob errors but I followed this when installing and haven't had any trouble to this day... Use all good quality materials etc. Hope this helps

the bow stern light switch is drawn incorrect stern light will stay on when battery is connected and bow light will work in both running and anchor positions, panel lights stay on until the battery is disconnected, you have both a fuse and a breaker from the battery to the main fuse panel. just minor faults and im sure you correct them on the boat

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is the front view of my current switch panel.
Switch Panel.jpg
I would like to use something similar however, adding an extra switch.

Im not sure what gauges I will be using. Any ideas of which ones I should or shouldnt?
I will deffinitly have a:
Bow/Stern Light
Bilge Pump

I many have a:
Stereo

Don S

What I was referring to was what panel do YOU want to use, what instruments do YOU want, what accessory items are you planning on buying andinstalling.
We can help you wire up what YOU have chosen, but we aren't the ones choosing the items for you.

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

In looking fir a 4 seitch( nt sure exactly but know I want 4). A fuel gauge ad tachometer. I plan on using a stereo not sure about a VHF.

ok so you have thought about 4 switchs and maybe a radio thats a good start so heres a few things to think about

its a nice boat so do you want to stay with the era or go with the hi-tech look.

basic boats need:

speedo
tach
fuel gauge (if the tank is built in)
volt gauge is nice to have

bilge pump (manual or auto or dual?)
bow and anchor light with the switch for anchor only
some sort of small internal lighting kept low to illuminate the inside of the boat only (used to work anchor and find key switch)
horn (crome fog horns with small air compressor)

additional things

stereo (with or with out amp)
maybe a vhf radio

my thoughts are stainless steel or crome ringed gauges, toggle switchs mounted to brushed stainless plate (home depo has nice plates there used on doors and other things kinda makes shopping fun to find something that will look right for the era), possible cig lighter socket for accessorys in stainless, hidden radio face plate or mounted under dash with blue tooth to a ipod, all electrical hidden under the dash including a nice 8 point fuse holder with built in ground buss, modern breaker near the battery that can also act as a service disconnect if required.........the problem is its not my boat so why dont you tell us what you want and we will help guide you to the right diagram unless you want something off the wall then we will draw a print for you.

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would like to go original with a few things modern. I'm thinking stainless steel gauges, steering wheel, and switch pan(is it possible to buy them 4 switch stainless steel?

The stereo would be hidden and if I have a VHF, I'd moun in unde the dash. Is a VHF necessary. I know it's a good thing to have and all. Could I buy it later. Ido t think I need to put stereo and VHF on switcher.

I will be putting lights under the bow, along the sides, and in goin to try to put and in the dash tray( there's a lip I could fit them in)

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Il will stay near shore but up in the Nothern VA area and then down in nC

NYBo

Admiral

If you mean you you'll be boating in saltwater near the shore, definitely get a VHF radio. It's a must-have piece of safety equipment for that kind of boating, IMO.

EDIT: I see you have a 15' boat, so I'm thinking you're going to be in protected waters only. For the time being, you could have a handheld VHF aboard.

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will get a handheld VHF radio at first than maybe later il upgrade to a mounted one.

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where can I purchase a Switch Panel that has 4 switches, one that is up-middle(off)-down for Nav Lights?