Switch Panel connection

almansnr

Recruit
I chose a circuit breaker switch panel in place of a fuse switch panel for my cockpit on a fishing boat (for lights,wipers, wash down, stereo, pump etc.).

I got a Westmarine panel for trust in name and excellent price but the instructions were not clear to me. Do I connect only the positive from my equipment to the switch panel and al the negatives go on a common ground? I need help as I see only one connection point for the equipment on the center of the switch panel

So is it correct that the negatives from my lights and pumps etc don't have to be any part of the switch panel.

I can connect the negative lines to any ground on the boat

Then all I have to do is connect the positives of lights, pumps etc to the middle slots on the panel shown by the red arrows in the image below:

Attachments

• SwitchPanel2.jpg
    SwitchPanel2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 0

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Switch Panel connection

Welcome to iboats:cool:

You need a negative buss to go along with that breaker/switch panel. I assume the switches are lighted, which is why there is a battery negative connection.

almansnr

Recruit

Welcome to iboats:cool:

You need a negative buss to go along with that breaker/switch panel. I assume the switches are lighted, which is why there is a battery negative connection.

Thanks, Yes the switches are lighted.
Please explain what a negative buss means and how to set it (maybe with a sketch)

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks, Yes the switches are lighted.
Please explain what a negative buss means and how to set it (maybe with a sketch)

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Each appliance in yer system needs a positive, 'n negative circuit to work,...

Yer switches carry the positive,...

You need to run a ground, negative circuit for the other 1/2 of yer system...

The easiest way is a wire from the battery (-), to a buss bar, or common point for all the appliance grounds to come too,....
Rather than all of 'em runnin' to the battery...

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class

A buss bar is uesed as a common point for your (-) negative circuit. The (-) negative from your battery gos to the buss bar & the (-) negative from your circuits goto the buss bar.

Here is two types of a buss bars. But there are others types too.
Bus Bar.jpgBus Bar 2.jpg