Triton 1999 livewell pumpout and recirc pumps

phillipdi

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

Fellows I need some help with the wiring on my livewell pumpout pump and recirc. I went fishing on Friday and caught some red drum threw them in the livewell came home to turn on the livewell pumpout and nothing happened. The trouble shooting steps i took was.
I noticed that the rest of my pumps were working. So I leaned under the dash of my bass boat and fiddled with the wires. The rocker stitch light was on but the pump was not working not even humming or anything. I checked the fuses they were not blown. I was stumbed so I went to the transom and traced the wires and noticed that the connections were badly corroded so I clipped both ends of the wires the ones from the rocker switch and the ones to my pump and spliced them together. I turned my switch back on and the wires became hot and started smoking, so I turned it back off. I got a idea and used a known good switch my bilge pump wires and switch. I connected it to my livewell pumpout pump and this time it blew my fuse in the circuit box. I replaced the fuse and hooked my bilge pump back up and now it dont work either. I dont know what to do now any advise!

Phillip

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Triton 1999 livewell pumpout and recirc pumps

Hello,

Fellows I need some help with the wiring on my livewell pumpout pump and recirc. I went fishing on Friday and caught some red drum threw them in the livewell came home to turn on the livewell pumpout and nothing happened. The trouble shooting steps i took was.
I noticed that the rest of my pumps were working. So I leaned under the dash of my bass boat and fiddled with the wires. The rocker stitch light was on but the pump was not working not even humming or anything. I checked the fuses they were not blown. I was stumbed so I went to the transom and traced the wires and noticed that the connections were badly corroded so I clipped both ends of the wires the ones from the rocker switch and the ones to my pump and spliced them together. I turned my switch back on and the wires became hot and started smoking, so I turned it back off. I got a idea and used a known good switch my bilge pump wires and switch. I connected it to my livewell pumpout pump and this time it blew my fuse in the circuit box. I replaced the fuse and hooked my bilge pump back up and now it dont work either. I dont know what to do now any advise!

Phillip

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard Phillip,... Do ya have a Test light,..?? Ya need 1....

My guess is, yer pump-out pump is pumpin' no more,... sounds shorted out...

Use yer Test light to see where ya got Power, 'n where ya don't,...

Given Power, 'n a ground, yer pumps will pump...

that proberly made more sense when you wrote it then it makes when i read it.

"The rocker stitch light was on but the pump was not working not even humming or anything". could be a bad pump or a jammed impellor.

"I checked the fuses they were not blown" what size fuse is the pump running on?

"so I clipped both ends of the wires the ones from the rocker switch and the ones to my pump and spliced them together" real confussed here.....do you mean you reteriminated the wires or you joined them together like the brown and the black?

"I turned my switch back on and the wires became hot and started smoking, so I turned it back off" back to what size fuse question as that should blow to protect the wiring.

"I got a idea and used a known good switch my bilge pump wires and switch. I connected it to my livewell pumpout pump and this time it blew my fuse in the circuit box" well at least that confirmed that fuse was the right size for a pump.

"I replaced the fuse and hooked my bilge pump back up and now it dont work either. I dont know what to do now any advise!" guess the fuse wasnt small enoght to protect the switch.

playing with the electrical system is proberly not a good idea as its going to get expensive so go buy a volt meter and work one problem at a time. firstly disconnect the live well pump out pump. (no idea what that is but from what you are saying you need to disconnect it to start with). next test power to bilge switch incoming then turn on and test outgoing power as the switch proberly got unhappy on a direct short. if the switch has power in and out then see if you have power at the biege pump if you do test the ground to make sure thats connected.
then work on the pump out, ohm the disconnected wires on boat side they should show open if so turn on switch and see if you get 12v.....if you do then pull fuses until you loose the 12v and tell us what size fuse you had to pull.

phillipdi

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks gentlemen,

I did what you guys said borrowed a volt meter tested out the pumps and found out I was getting juice to pumps but they were not working. I bought some new ones hooked them up and they are working excellent. Thanks for the advice

thanks for getting back with what you found it realy helps other people who come across the same problems. have fun boating and dont forget to one day check the size of that fuse :)