Blew a fuse on Guest onboard charger 2611A

gordoj52

Recruit
I bought a 1999 Regal 2800 LSR with a dual bank battery system with a perko switch. Anyway, I pulled a bonehead move and left one of the battery banks on while I wasn't using it and now the first battery is dead. I decided to buy a guest 2611A dual bank charger. i have 2 group 27 deep cycle batteries and then bought a 30amp to 15 amp marinco charger adapter and a 12 gauge extension cord, hooked everything up directly to the battery and left it. I came back a week and a half later and it was still dead and I blew a fuse on the charger. I replaced the fuse hooked it up again and it blew again immediately. What am I doing wrong, possible dead battery or not a strong enough charger?

Please give me your input.

Thank you,

Jeff

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Blew a fuse on Guest onboard charger 2611A

Something is hooked up wrong. You're battery will charge with a 2amp charger if it's capable of being charged. Check the levels in the battery and re-check all the connections. I'm not sure why you need the Marinco adapter in there.

cribber

Lieutenant

Fuses only blow because of too much current. Try connecting to one battery at a time with the charger and isolate that battery using your switch or disconnect the other. Do this to both batteries and see what happens.

gordoj52

Recruit

Fuses only blow because of too much current. Try connecting to one battery at a time with the charger and isolate that battery using your switch or disconnect the other. Do this to both batteries and see what happens.

I tried to do that, but I couldn't get anything to light up with the charger. I'm starting to wonder if maybe I got a bad unit.

gordoj52

Recruit

this may seem like a dumb question, but what is the difference between a trolling battery charger and a cruising battery charger?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Disconnect the charger from the battery that DOES NOT blow the fuse. Disconnect the battery that DOES blow the fuse from the dual battery switch. This eliminates incorrect wiring as the issue. With the problem charger leads connected to the battery, power up the charger. If the fuse blows, check it's rating. If the charger is a 30 amp, that means each output is capable of dumping 15 amps into a battery. If the fuse is rated less than 15 amps it will blow immediately if the battery is fully discharged and drawing 15 amps in an attempt to charge. If the fuse is the correct value and still blows, connect the leads for the other battery to the problem battery and try that. If the fuse does NOT blow, you likely have a bad charger. If it DOES blow, you have a bad battery. Finally, if the charger works normally with the batteries disconnected from the switch, then you have some wiring issues.