Boat audio system

SuperMiguel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So i want to upgrade the stock audio on my boat.. Basically a 28 footer, with 4 speakers on the back of the boat...

I went to best buy today and bought this:

Head Unit: Sony CDX-M20
Speakers: Sony XS-MP1611 (2 Pairs)
Amp: Sony XM-604M

I installed it and i liked the sound, it sounds loud (could be louder) when i put it 100% volume on the HU, and leave the gain stock. It starts to distortion the sound.. so i have to put it on like 90%, for it to be loud and clear...

The reason im making this post, is because i spent $460, and i want to see if for the same money i could get something better... I dont really like the speaker quality (look cheap to be marine), nor i like tha i only have 1 RCA pair outputs on the back of my HU, this is not a big deal, since all 4 speakers are on the back of my boat and are full range...

So i went to sonic Electronix and made this exact setup and came up to $369.. so if i decide to keep this ill return the ones from bestbuy and buy everything again from sonic..

I also did this setup (which was recommend a bit ago on another post):

Head Unit: Kenwood KMR-350U
Speakers: JBL Marine MS6200 (2 pairs)
Amp: JBL Marine MA6004

This came up to $419 which is cheaper still than the best buy stuff..

Now my budged pushing it is $500...

What do you guys recommend??

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Boat audio system

So in your Universe it's OK to buy stuff from one place, install it and use it, then return it and buy the exact same thing from somebody else because it's a few bucks cheaper?

SuperMiguel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So in your Universe it's OK to buy stuff from one place, install it and use it, then return it and buy the exact same thing from somebody else because it's a few bucks cheaper?

Sorry but i purchased this in a rush with out doing prior research, and got home and did a bit of research ( i know i did it backwards but to late now) and few people dont like this setup, thats why i went back and return it... So now i want to take my time and do it right... so i dont have to buy and return again..

jclem

Cadet

Just my $.02, but I'm sure what you have purchased sounds fine, It's okay if not everyone else on the lake hears you. During my family's last trip to the lake we were treated to a ski boat at the boat ramp with enough sound system for a Who concert, Unfortunately the "music", if you can call it that, was so laced with profanity everyone got to experience the lack character on display. I don't know what type of music you listen to and it really doesn't matter, I just think this is one of those areas where less is more.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I've installed LOTS of marine systems... Used to compete in car audio. Anyway, I don't think I've ever actually heard a sony system that sounded good. There are far better choices for the money. Your 'new' system sounds like a decent choice, although I'd maybe consider a non-marine head unit. Marine head units are potted/sealed and have a couple nice-to-have marine features, but they are also substantially more expensive. Given that your boat is a 28', its likely the head unit is in a location where it may not get wet? On the other hand, you may want a wired remote, which is generally limited to marine head units only.

SuperMiguel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've installed LOTS of marine systems... Used to compete in car audio. Anyway, I don't think I've ever actually heard a sony system that sounded good. There are far better choices for the money. Your 'new' system sounds like a decent choice, although I'd maybe consider a non-marine head unit. Marine head units are potted/sealed and have a couple nice-to-have marine features, but they are also substantially more expensive. Given that your boat is a 28', its likely the head unit is in a location where it may not get wet? On the other hand, you may want a wired remote, which is generally limited to marine head units only.

Yes the Head unit is inside the cabin, it will never get wet in there... But i have read that what messed the units is the salt air not actual water

shaun77

Seaman

Thats a tight budget to get great sound, but, IMO anything sounds better than Sony.

SuperMiguel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thats a tight budget to get great sound, but, IMO anything sounds better than Sony.

also is there a reason to spend a bit more on the Head unit? and get something like this:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46329_Kenwood-KMR-550U.html

The only reason i mention it is because i think with the previous HU if in the future i wanted to add a sub i wouldnt be able to.. But this one has 3 pairs of RCA outputs...

Now that i touched that topic, those 3 RCA pairs, say to be Front/Back and Sub... Can i still run 2 of the 3 pairs (Front and back) as back speakers? As full range speakers??

5150abf

Vice Admiral

There is a new company called Wet Sounds that makes some increadible equipment, it is our premium stereo at Bennington now.

I took out one of the company boat that had one and I was really really impressed, didn't see how much power it was pushing but I would geuss alot, had 11 speakers including 2 on the tower and a sub under the console.

That is pretty elaberate but even the 4-6 speaker ones sound awesome.

I have a Rockford Fosgate on my fishing boat, 160 watt head unit and 4 speakers and it is load and clear.

MWBoatFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

also is there a reason to spend a bit more on the Head unit? and get something like this:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46329_Kenwood-KMR-550U.html

The only reason i mention it is because i think with the previous HU if in the future i wanted to add a sub i wouldnt be able to.. But this one has 3 pairs of RCA outputs...

Now that i touched that topic, those 3 RCA pairs, say to be Front/Back and Sub... Can i still run 2 of the 3 pairs (Front and back) as back speakers? As full range speakers??

I just installed this head unit and I love it. UNBEATABLE for the money. And check Amazon, best prices there.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If your turn your HU up to 100% you're going to get distortion whether its a $100 deck or $1000. The quick and dirty way is to set it at 75% and then adjust the amp to just below clipping level. On your search for a different HU, if you can find one with preouts with greater than 2V (I've seen as much as 6V, and my pioneer in the boat has 4v) it would be a good idea to consider it.

4 speakers on a boat, amplified or not, will sound much different than 4 speakers in a car. Especially on a 28 foot boat. Especially if they are Sony speakers. It's an open air environment so the higher frequency sound does not have windshields or framework to reflect off of.

Unfortunately audio is a "get what you pay for" market and the really good stuff can get really expensive. I grew up as a car audio installer guy and I know the wide range of quality that exists. Sony has middle of the road stuff at best. Not bad for the average radio, but if you want a system you'll need to look higher. EVERYONE has their own personal preference of brand by past experience, but any higher end brand will make products you will be happy with.

As for Wetsounds, obviously awesome stuff but if your budget is $500 dollars just forget about it.

Remember, the HU is the center of the system. Don't cheap out on it. The speakers can only be as good as the amplified signal they receive from the amps, and the amps will reproduce whatever signal they receive from the deck. Get one with options for expandability later. That includes RCA outputs...I imagine you'll want to add another amp down the road for whatever reason.

MWBoatFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What amp if any are you using? also what speakers?

MB Quart Marine NAU660 360-Watt A/B-Class 6-Channel Amplifier

4 Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers

Polk Audio db1040DVC 10-Inch Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer

All Marine quality stuff, none of it "EXPENSIVE" but none of it "CHEAP"

It rocks the water. I love it.

You can see my install thread here - http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=574557

SuperMiguel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

MB Quart Marine NAU660 360-Watt A/B-Class 6-Channel Amplifier

4 Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers

Polk Audio db1040DVC 10-Inch Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer

All Marine quality stuff, none of it "EXPENSIVE" but none of it "CHEAP"

It rocks the water. I love it.

You can see my install thread here - http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=574557

How is the mb quart amp compared with the jbl I listed??
Also same question for the speakers Polk vs the jbl I listed

Edit: on your post seems like the back speakers have a white grill on them, those Polk come in white as well??

haulnazz15

Captain

Don't get caught up in brand names for amps/HU's. There's no one who can hear the difference in an MTX amp and a walmart brand amp with the same RMS voltage. You can argue about %THD and other specs, but those aren't really tangible advantages unless you are entering SPL competitions and taking readings with high-spec equipment. I prefer Pioneer for HU's, but it's mainly due to the appearance and functionality. I have used MTX, Infinity, and Pioneer amps and had no complaints about any of them. I like Polk Audio, Infinity, and Boston Acoustics speakers, but that's really just preference.

If you are trying to get "full sound" out of 2 pairs of coaxial 6.5" speakers, you're not going to get it. I recommend 4-6.5" mids (or components if you want to get fancy), a single 8-10" sub, a 5-channel amp (50x4, 1x200) is perfect for 90% of people in a car or boat. That system can be had for around $500 if you pick your items carefully. If you start buying big brand names and such, it gets expensive quick.

SuperMiguel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I'm trying to use 4 6.5" speakers

What does mid speaker mean? How do i tell if they are mid??

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well I'm trying to use 4 6.5" speakers

What does mid speaker mean? How do i tell if they are mid??

I'm not sure what haulnazz is getting at exactly except that you should use a subwoofer if you desire true full range sound (I agree with this)... A true "mid" speaker is not a coaxial, it is just a speaker that is specifically designed to output mid-range frequencies, and will be utilized with a crossover network to ensure only those suitable freqs are fed to it. In short, it is a woofer cone with no tweeter. Unless you have a component set (separate tweeters and mid range speakers at a minimum, and sometimes a 3 speaker set with separate tweeter, mids, and bass speakers), you would get no high range production out of running just a set of mids and a sub... There's gotta be a tweeter in there somewhere, whether its via the center mounted tweeter on a coax speaker or the separate ones in a component set.

On a boat, I would not mess with a component set unless you are getting serious with your endstate goal... A set of four, high quality coax speakers, a single 10" sub known for good SQ rather then pure SPL production, a 5 channel amp with bandpass filters, and a headunit with your desired inputs and high voltage RCA outputs, and you're set. Brand names are an endless debate but I would say they are extremely relevant only to speakers. Headunits are generally selected based on appearance, interface and features, and I personally am guilty of selecting amps based on the desire to have a "matching set" with my drivers. :)

haulnazz15

Captain

I'm not sure what haulnazz is getting at exactly except that you should use a subwoofer if you desire true full range sound (I agree with this)... A true "mid" speaker is not a coaxial, it is just a speaker that is specifically designed to output mid-range frequencies, and will be utilized with a crossover network to ensure only those suitable freqs are fed to it. . .

Agreed, however I was just using the term "mids" to mean the coaxials he was already using. I realize that , being technical, a mid is a separate speakers, but a coaxial is a "mid" and a "tweeter" paired into one, generally with compromised performance from the "mid" due to the post running through the middle of it. There are a number of designs that put the tweeter on a bridge over the mid, which doesn't compromise the integrity of the "mid" cone. In any case, I think we agree on the basic setup and non-importance of brands when building a budget system.

MWBoatFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All the speaker grills are a gun metal color (6.5's and the sub). That's all they offer. I didn't want white so it was good for my purpose. For the price you can't beat the amp. IMHO ...that said, it's all OPINION, I spent about 3 weeks researching, listening, and discussing with my "stereo guy" before I bought a thing. This was ideal for what I wanted. You may want something else. Just sharing my experience and taste.

Plus I spent about $750 for this set up I think, including all the new speaker wire and monster cable RCA's and marine grade wiring. Might be over your budget.

Good luck.