2001 Chris Craft 26' Constellation Equipment Panel Electrical Problem

billyjoe46

Recruit
BACKGROUND: I am about to be the owner of a 2001 Chris Craft 26' Constellation which has an electrical problem with the Equipment Switch Panel. The "dashboard" mounted Equipment Switch Panel has about 8 or 9 switches for Navigation Lights, Manual Bilge Pumps, Cockpit Lights, etc. Apparently these switches are connected to a remote circuit board in the engine compartment which is "burned out" and is no longer stocked by Chris Craft as a spare part. I guess the original system had the Equipment Panel Switches activating relays in the circuit board rather than the actual devices themselves.

Frankly, I would just like to eliminate the need for this problematic circuit board by adding a new "fuse block" or "breaker panel" and hard wiring the various devices to new switches.

THE QUESTION: Has anyone out there done this kind of fix on a Chris Craft Constellation? If so, do you have a wiring diagram of how you hooked it up. The trickiest part to me is how to wire the bilge pumps so they work automatically from the float switch and also from the Manual switch.

ALTERNATE: Does anyone have a wiring diagram for how to install a "fuse block" and connect lighting circuits and bilge pumps to their respective switches - then perhaps I could just clone that technique into this Chris Craft application.

Thanks in advance for any advice the Forum can provide!

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2001 Chris Craft 26' Constellation Equipment Panel Electrical Problem

There are a couple of diagrams in the STICKIES at the very top of this forum (not the top of this page. I would almost be tempted to design a new relay board as that is a relatively simple task and would eliminate a lot of rewiring. The switches simply send 12 volts to the relay coil to actuate it. A source of 12 volts at each relay is then sent to the applicable device when the relay is activated.

Re: 2001 Chris Craft 26' Constellation Equipment Panel Electrical Problem

alot of boards can be repaired as burnt up can be a discription of a few failed components or solder joints to a complete melt down any chance you can get a picture as it may be repairable or at least it will give a idea of the size and space you have to work with. i agree with silvertip about changing the board if it can not be repaired with either something available on the market or home made. 12vdc is used a lot in fire alarm and cnc controls so something like this can be made to work (not surgesting this one but something like it) http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-way-relay...ial_Automation_Control_ET&hash=item19d4b9c950

SeaEsta-12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
BACKGROUND: I am about to be the owner of a 2001 Chris Craft 26' Constellation which has an electrical problem with the Equipment Switch Panel. The "dashboard" mounted Equipment Switch Panel has about 8 or 9 switches for Navigation Lights, Manual Bilge Pumps, Cockpit Lights, etc. Apparently these switches are connected to a remote circuit board in the engine compartment which is "burned out" and is no longer stocked by Chris Craft as a spare part. I guess the original system had the Equipment Panel Switches activating relays in the circuit board rather than the actual devices themselves.

Frankly, I would just like to eliminate the need for this problematic circuit board by adding a new "fuse block" or "breaker panel" and hard wiring the various devices to new switches.

THE QUESTION: Has anyone out there done this kind of fix on a Chris Craft Constellation? If so, do you have a wiring diagram of how you hooked it up. The trickiest part to me is how to wire the bilge pumps so they work automatically from the float switch and also from the Manual switch.

ALTERNATE: Does anyone have a wiring diagram for how to install a "fuse block" and connect lighting circuits and bilge pumps to their respective switches - then perhaps I could just clone that technique into this Chris Craft application.

Thanks in advance for any advice the Forum can provide!

Billy,
Did you every figure out a solution to your switch panel problem?
i have the exact same problem and can get it fixed.

Thank you

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
SeaEsta - Start a new thread. This was Billy's last post and the thread is close to 3 years old.