gps chart plotter

bigbadchevy89

Seaman
Hey everyone:
I do not know if this is the rite place to ask but I am looking for recommendations on a hand held gps that would include charts/maps of Lake Erie. Is there anyone who can recommend one hopefully inexpensive or has any information about them it would be appreciated. I am getting overwhelmed searching through all of the information online.

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: gps chart plotter

Hey everyone:
I do not know if this is the rite place to ask but I am looking for recommendations on a hand held gps that would include charts/maps of Lake Erie. Is there anyone who can recommend one hopefully inexpensive or has any information about them it would be appreciated. I am getting overwhelmed searching through all of the information online.

I have a Garmin "GPSMAP78". I love it, it's waterproof and it floats too. I bought it this spring and haven't had any problems. I think you'll have a hard time finding a cheaper unit that without loosing important features.

It comes with a base map (similar to the map on a car GPS), then you can buy whatever charts you want after that. I think I bought the east coast charts for like $100. I'm not 100% sure but I think it comes with free updates as long as you have the device.

One feature that I really like (I'm sure others have it) is the anchor alarm. You set the max distance you are willing to move, and if you go outside your set perimeter it goes off.

Austin

Alumarine

Captain

I have an older Garmin GPSMAP76 and agree that the GPSMAP78 is a good handheld in a marine environment.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got a Delorme PN-60. Not the least expensive at around $250, but possibly the unit with the most features if you need all the extras. You can download high res. maps for lakes, topo maps, etc.. You get a certain dollar amount of free downloads with the unit, and if you are a real explorer then you can sign up for the yearly service for unlimited downloads (I think it is around $30 per year, but can't remember for sure). It is packed with features, but a little harder to learn to use than the Garmins I've had. Its water proof and floats, which I think that feature is pretty important. I looked at some units that claimed to be waterproof to 1m but they didn't float, so what if you drop it in the water? The display is a little too small, but readable. It can be output to a laptop for a larger display, but probably not practical on a boat.

If you need Sat. messaging or SOS capabilities they have the PN-60W that will work with their InReach Sat. system. Might be a consideration if you plan to go far offshore.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

Hey everyone:

I have used the Lowrance iFinder H2O C unit. It takes the Navionics SD cards and also allows you to load your own maps. This unit is no longer manufactured but can be found online. I happen to know where there is one lying around.....