Quick questions about Perko switch.

LattimerII

Cadet
I posted a week or so ago about Blue Sea Add a battery and ultimately plan on installing that system in the winter. Right now it is insanely hot outside, and I think the perko switch (which was quick to install) will accomplish what I really want for the time being. Mainly I want to be able to play music with engine off and save battery #1.

Questions:
1. The deep cycle I bought is a group 29 and the cranking battery I already had is group 24. Both are standard wet cell types. Is this an issue with the size difference? I don't think it will be, but I dont want to be wrong and burn the boat to the waterline either!

2. I have a simple Attwood marine/ATV trickle charger that supposedly is water resistant and won't overcharge batteries. Can I simply add it to positive and negative on either battery and set switch to both to charge? Again I think that I can, but just double checking.

Searched forum, and I think that the answer to 2 is yes from what others have said.

Here is a crude drawing of my setup

Perko.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Quick questions about Perko switch.

First of all, Perko is a brand and BlueSea is another brand. Second, the "add a battery" has more connections that what you are showing. Might want to look at the instructions of the BlueSea switch you are buying.

The drawing you show is for a 1/2/Both switch which the BlueSea is not. In your drawing the amp can never be disconnected from the battery. It will be able to with the Blue Sea switch.

LattimerII

Cadet
Re: Quick questions about Perko switch.

First of all, Perko is a brand and BlueSea is another brand. Second, the "add a battery" has more connections that what you are showing. Might want to look at the instructions of the BlueSea switch you are buying.

The drawing you show is for a 1/2/Both switch which the BlueSea is not. In your drawing the amp can never be disconnected from the battery. It will be able to with the Blue Sea switch.

Yes, my drawing is for 1/2/both/off switch.

I haven't started working on the add a battery kit yet. Mostly because it is extremely hot right now crawling around in the engine compartment. I'll probably get to that when it cools off a little.