2005 Bayliner 185 - Replace Stereo

buddylee17

Recruit
I'm looking at replacing the stereo that came with the boat, but can't find any kits that look like they might fit. I've done a few installs on cars, but it's usually pretty easy to find a custom kit. The old stereo is an Audiovox MS 160 and about half of the controls work (volume is cranked and stuck). There is a slot cut out below it for a cd changer, which is going to limit how big the kit can be.

Any ideas about where to find a stereo kit for this? I'm considering looking for a car kit if it will work.

buddylee17

Recruit
Re: 2005 Bayliner 185 - Replace Stereo

Thanks. I've looked at several of these and all I've found are 4" or more in height. The problem I have is that there is a slot cut out below the stereo where a cd changer goes. This basically means my kit options are max 3" in height.

Surely someone else has ran into this before?

buddylee17

Recruit

Here is a pic so you can see what I'm referring to. Anyone have suggestions?

boatstereo.jpg

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

Most marine stereos are single DIN size, and I believe your current stereo is also. Therefore, you should be able to slip the new mounting sleeve into the current opening. A picture of your dash would help.

EDIT: I see you posted a picture while I was writing my reply. The dash opening should be single DIN, so unless you need a weatherproof cover, you should be good to go with a single DIN replacement.

buddylee17

Recruit

Here's the dash, NYBo:

boatdash.jpg

The radio is inside the glove box on the left.

Also, the current stereo has no sleeve. It's secured with 4 screws in the front (2 on left and 2 on right). Whatever kit I get to trim the stereo out will have to cover up the screw holes. There is also a metal rod connected to the back of the radio which keeps it from moving vertically.

NYBo

Admiral

What is the spacing of the screw holes and the size of the opening for the stereo?

delirious

Petty Officer 2nd Class

go to your local stereo shop and ask for "din trim" plate or make your own out of plexi
Here's the dash, NYBo:

View attachment 163963

The radio is inside the glove box on the left.

Also, the current stereo has no sleeve. It's secured with 4 screws in the front (2 on left and 2 on right). Whatever kit I get to trim the stereo out will have to cover up the screw holes. There is also a metal rod connected to the back of the radio which keeps it from moving vertically.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I've done the stereo replacement on 2 boats (my current boat just last week) and never had an issue fitting a standard DIN-sized stereo in place of the old one. I did run into an issue with the multi-disc CD changer on the current boat, tho (a setup like the OP's)...

The old stereo and CD-changer were both Kenwoods. Soon as I took my new Pioneer receiver out of the package, it was obvious that the proprietary plug between the CD-changer and the old Kenwood receiver, wasn't going to work with the new unit. Pulled out the changer, and took it and the new receiver to a local car stereo store, where I was told that, 'no way, no how' could I interface the Pioneer receiver to the Kenwood CD-changer.

Apparently, multi CD changers are now dinosaurs. The major manufacturers don't even make them anymore, as the stereo receivers are now built to interface with Ipods, instead. I now have an empty hole in the cabin where the CD changer was. I plan to make a glovebox to fit in the hole.

My .02

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

i just popped a sony with ipod and usb capability and an inbuilt cd player but will probably go with the ipod and usb as cds take up too much space.could always make a blank space with a waterproof flap to store mobiles in.normally all mine go in a waterproof container.had more trouble getting larger speakers to fit as the originals were *%$p

stxman4

Recruit
Buddylee, what kind of mount did you end up going with? I have the same boat and same issues with trying to install a new stereo.