Trolling motor idea - pontoon boat

RustyShackleford

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am thinking about chopping the bottom off of a trolling motor and mounting it sort of hidden under the deck of my pontoon boat. I don't really want a trolling motor mounted to the edge of the bow, or one mounted to the transom. I will run power wires to a pedal at my console, or maybe some sort of small throttle lever. The motor will be mounted rigid, without any provisions for steering, and I think I will be able to do a little bit of steering using the main engine as a rudder (think that will work?).

Has anyone seen something like this? Any comments regarding why it wouldn't be a good setup?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trolling motor idea - pontoon boat

Mount it VERY securely because when under power from the big motor the water moving between the toons will rip it off. It will also act as a very effective "brake" since it will be dragging in the water. If you don't believe this, stick your hand in the water palm forward at about 20 mph. You will find out in a hurry how much drag just your palm creates. They already make what you need. It is a single, dual, or triple trolling motor head that you mount directly to the outboard. You will get zero slow speed steering from the big motor when using the troller following your plan.

RustyShackleford

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Didn't think about the drag while underway. I am not sure I could mount it so the water doesn't rip it off.

RustyShackleford

Petty Officer 3rd Class

They already make what you need. It is a single, dual, or triple trolling motor head that you mount directly to the outboard.
What are these called? I have heard of them before, but I don't know what to search by and I haven't seen them while browsing websites that sell trolling motors.

Nevermind, found one:
http://www.cabelas.com/saltwater-motors-minn-kota-riptide-8482-engine-mount-motors.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=00047650&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=865E84C8-958E-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=5855238984&mr:keyword={keyword}

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class

++^
You will have a lot of drag mounting it they way you want. So make double sure it is mounted securely. The trolling motor heads work great & are easy to install.

does a pontoon boat realy get on plan high enoght to lift the ones mounted to the outboard out of the water? i realy like the idea of them just wondering if they would work on a pontoon.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A more appropriate question would be does the motor sit LOW enough on a pontoon to allow the electric motors to get INTO the water.

Chip Chester

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rusty, a simple lever on the end of a longitudinal tube would do the trick. The lever could be alongside the side rail, or back near the outboard. Pull and latch lever, electric motor is down. Unlatch and release, motor is up. (Safety clip in up position.) A galvanized fence post will be tough enough that the motor and lever could reside in cross-drilled holes. However, it seems like a standard trolling motor, mounted in the standard way, could be kept out of the way just as well. If you link the steering to your outboard, then you're good to go. --Chip

RustyShackleford

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A more appropriate question would be does the motor sit LOW enough on a pontoon to allow the electric motors to get INTO the water.
Thanks. I was scratching my head on that one but didnt want to ask. Haha.

RustyShackleford

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Rusty, a simple lever on the end of a longitudinal tube would do the trick. The lever could be alongside the side rail, or back near the outboard. Pull and latch lever, electric motor is down. Unlatch and release, motor is up. (Safety clip in up position.) A galvanized fence post will be tough enough that the motor and lever could reside in cross-drilled holes. However, it seems like a standard trolling motor, mounted in the standard way, could be kept out of the way just as well. If you link the steering to your outboard, then you're good to go. --Chip
Good tips. Guess I better start sketching.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Thanks. I was scratching my head on that one but didnt want to ask. Haha.

Simple -- on a V-hull at rest the anti-vent plate is well below the surface of the water so the troller motors mounted on it would indeed be IN the water and out of the water with the boat on plane. The motor on a pontoon may not sit deep enough in the water at rest to get the electric motor(s) in the water. Those motors by the way mount ABOVE the AV plate, not below it.

Star

Chief Petty Officer

Dear Rusty,
Pushing a 22' Toon offset from the center back is quite a task. You will have alot more control pulling from the front for sure. These small motors can't push like a kicker motor. Use the TM as it was designed, you will be better off!