Sony radio turns on and off

babbot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey stereo experts. I bought a Sony radio model DSX-MS60 about a month ago. Works fine for about an hour then just turns on and off. Only stays on for about a second and off for about a second, keeps cycling. I did a google search but seems other problems have to do with high volume. This is not the case. It has happened to me 3 outings now.
I have it connected to a deep cycle battery all by itself and all the connections are good. I tried opening and closing the detachable face figured it was a connection but no avail. I only have one set of polk audio DB6501 speakers hooked up.
Feels like an over heating issue.
Is it time to warranty it?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sony radio turns on and off

Is the battery fully charged? Is there a circuit breaker in thie positive lead going to the radio?

babbot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Battery is fresh every time I go out and there is just a fuse in between. The last time I went out it was on very soft, didn't even pay attention to it then after an hour or two I realized it was turning on and off by itself so it couldn't of drained the battery that quickly.

babbot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good idea, I will check voltage while it is running. I don't think I will have time tonight but will check after work tomorrow. Do you think the chassis needs to be grounded? I am just using the negative wire from the harness. I just assumed they grounded internally.

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

From your post I assume the radio is newly installed. Another thing to check is that your speakers are the correct impedance for your amp. Impedance mismatch can cause amp to heat and shut off for self protection

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

The DB6501s are component speakers. Do you have them wired correctly through the crossover?

babbot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, it is a new install for everything. Speakers are 4 ohms and radio says 4-8 ohms. If I remember when i installed i noticed a little fan port on the rear. I wonder if the fan is working. There is plenty of space behind the console for air circulation but I do have a splash guard on the front. Not sure if it pulls air from the front. I don't see a port.

Yes, the wires are correct but I will recheck my work when i test the voltage.

babbot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get a volt meter on the power lead at the radio (and the connected ground) and make certain you are getting a full 12 volts. If voltage drops to say 10 volts your amerage draw goes up and the radio WILL over heat and if it has thermo protection it will sit there and cycle on and off.

If the voltage is good and you have a good ground, take the radio back.

Good call on the volt meter. Looks like I need a newer/bigger battery. I am only getting a little over 11 volts after it has been on for a while Its a small 13 amphour deep cycle battery which I thought was enough.
Thanks guys!