Run AC Outlets from inverter at all times, even while plugged into shore power

deedgrabber

Recruit
I want to hook up an inverter to power my AC outlets when I'm away from shore and I don't want to invest in an expensive unit with transfer switch, etc.

Is there any reason I couldn't just disconnect the shore power AC from the AC outlet breaker, and permanently attach an inverter from the battery to this breaker?

When I'm on shore, the 30A battery charger will power the battery which will power the inverter/AC outlets. And at sea I will get the AC power I want.

I'm sure it's not that efficient to run AC power from shore to the battery back to the inverter again but what would the harm be? Little or no power is used from the AC outlets when at shore anyway.

I'm trying to avoid having some kind of manual switch and frying the inverter.

wingless

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Run AC Outlets from inverter at all times, even while plugged into shore power

When I added a small inverter onto my boat, for televisions, cell phones and laptop chargers, I kept all the existing receptacles wired into shore power / generator, plus added additional receptacles powered only from the inverter.

The direct-wired receptacles could be handy. Running everything through the charger / inverter loses about 20% efficiency at the charger and again at the inverter, so extra heat.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Run AC Outlets from inverter at all times, even while plugged into shore power

That's the way my 5th wheel is wired. The only thing hooked up to "shore" power is my inverter and the air conditioning. The inverter runs everything except the air. I have no air unless I get out my portable genny when I'm parked or when at a campsite with AC.

sccatfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would get some sort of switch to switch between the inverter and shore power. Like this:
http://www.iboats.com/9009-Switch-AC-120VAC-32A-OFF-2-Position-Blue-Sea-Systems/dm/*******.070012944--session_id.319794349--view_id.236443

Not only is it inefficient to run off of the inverter and charger, pretty much all charger instruction manuals say not to run power while charging. I think it messes with the sensors and it doesn't think the batteries are charged and can lead to premature battery failure.

deedgrabber

Recruit

Thanks for the responses.

I hadn't seen that switch - I think that would do the trick.

Also, thanks for the tip about running everything from the battery charger - I hadn't heard that.

Rick

sccatfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class