Does a VHF antenna work for am/fm?

Cpt Crunch

Cadet
I've read on here that an am/fm antenna won't work for vhf, but will a TRAM 1600-HC 38- Inch VHF Marine Antenna work for am/fm? I have one already on my boat but have no clue if it'll work ...or moreover, do any harm to my am/fm stereo.

Thoughts?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Does a VHF antenna work for am/fm?

Yes, no problem. I have my AM/FM hooked up to my backup VHF antenna

Cpt Crunch

Cadet

Use a splitter if you are going to do this.

Because it's just a fishing boat we plan to use within a mile off the north WA coast, I'm swapping out the VHF for my cell phone. Between people sitting on their mics (and have both the Canadian and US Coast Guard telling them to hang them up, which they don't seem to pay attention to), radio checks on the wrong channel, babble between boats (which is again warned by both coast guards), and a lot of dead air, I'd rather listen to music and call the Coast Guard if I need them, than spend all day listening to that garbage. If I have one, it's supposed to be on. If I don't, .....I'll be putting on some little easy listening that will keep time with the ocean swell.

I'm also downsizing my big gel cell battery for a 6AH AGM to run just the GPS and am/fm radio.

Yup! Life onboard 16' 'Seafood Sally' is gonna bet a whole lot more ......relaxing!

NYBo

Admiral

I completely disagree with your reasoning about ditching the VHF in favor of a cell phone, but it's your choice.

If I have one, it's supposed to be on.
While a good idea, you are not required to have the VHF on. The requirement is that you must maintain a watch on channel 16 whenever the radio is operating and not being used to communicate.